Some observations for points raised in latest posts.
[ThrillaMozilla] I'm not convinced that you need large syringes.
I tried 10 cc, 20 cc and 30 cc syringes.
10 cc syringe is a no go, the working volume is too small. All I accomplished with it was to move ink, air and foam between sponge and syringe, with very little ink going to spongeless side.
20 cc syringe is usable, but needs more cycles, also need breaks to remove air and draw ink.
With 30 cc syringe I was able to fill in fewer cycles, without any break.
[pharmacist] It introduces much more steps and devices and one must look after that the syringe is welll attached, the sealing on the ink outlet hole, the sealing of the breathing hole
I agree and I may add that is lengthy and sometime messy until you learn how to do it properly. But if the goal is to refill a cartridge without any modification this is the only way, beside industrial vacuum machines. It can be the best choice for a small refill business.
[pharmacist] the rubber stopper of the syringe will break down much faster
Well, the rubber in my 30 cc syringe already shows a degradation, but is a syringe from a refill kit and not for medical use. I think a good syringe for medical use will last at least its validity period.
Some 60 cc syringes I found on-line are specially designed for aspiration.
[ThrillaMozilla] so he created a Cadillac version
I suppose it is about me.
Please do not judge Freedom Method from my contraption and results. I think
ghwellsjr hose adapter is better and faster in use. My contraption has a big disadvantage, it does not allow unsealing the air maze before unsealing the outlet port, meaning that if there is still negative pressure in cartridge some air will be drawn through outlet port in lower sponge, also cleaning the air maze requires additional steps.
[ThrillaMozilla] I don't understand the concern. Air and ink flow through needles just fine, and this hole is much larger.
Forcing air and ink through a small hole would generate a lot of foam.
I did an experiment, I fitted a thin needle on syringe and drew first some ink, then air. There was a lot of foam in syringe. I repeated without needle, and there was no foam.
[ThrillaMozilla] If your vacuum is too good, I suppose it's possible that you could be boiling the ink, and that would create foam
Yes, it boils. I did an experiment for this, too. With some ink in a sealed syringe I pulled the plunger and some bubbles appeared.
[ThrillaMozilla] although it would collapse instantly
Not completely. At boiling the vapors take some heat from surroundings so the vapor / liquid equilibrium is changed.