Ok I am back.
As far as empty carts go, I have tested many and I keep going back to AcuJet Empty carts. They are slightly more expensive then SkyHorse, but I find them to last at least three times longer. Some I have refilled for over thirty times without any problems. I have not had the same luck with others.
They do not use a sponge, they use I fiber-like sponge that has larger air cells, allowing the ink to flow better and air to escape. Some would think that that may create ink leakage but it does not, doe to the exit filter, which is also of high quality. By the way they are manufactured in the USA. From my personal experience, I would also stay away from spongeless cartridges.
As far as ink cartridges from China, I have spoken to some of the representatives of Chinese ink cartridges manufacturers, and have been made to understand that basically they use whatever is available and cheaper. I am sure that there are some more reliable manufacturers out there, but the game has become price not quality, as shown on Ebay and many websites selling ink that matches everything except what it supposed to.
Getting to inks. I have found two very good companies so far, FORMULABS and IMAGE SPECIALISTS.
Image specialists has very good color balance, but I have experienced clogging problems with their inks. Many others have had the same problem with it. On the other hand, there are those, such as Neal and many others, who have used Image Specialists ink for a very long time and have never had bad experiences or clogs from it, and if that is the case they should continue to use it because it has a good color balance.
I have also tried Formulabs. I have never experienced a single clog from Formulabs ink. However, in some cases, the color balancing can be a little more challenging, but not impossible. It all depends on which printer you use. For example, I find that when using Canon ink, the i860 has a tendency to print more towards the green, where the i960 prints more towards the red and the ip5000 prints a more balanced shade of colors. Therefore, Formulabs inks may be or may not be perfect, depending on the printer and the settings one prefers to use.
The main inks from Formulabs that are widely used today are:
BCI-3e inks
BCI-6 inks
BCI-7 inks
and
BCI-8 inks
The BCI-7 inks are exactly the same as the BCI-6 except for the Magenta and Photo-Magenta, which are lighter in the BCI-7 set. These inks are supposed to be for the new printers released by Canon in Japan, they are not yet available in the USA.
The BCI-8 series I have not tested on an 8-color printer, so I cannot comment on them, maybe Graddad kows. I have tested them on the i960, and the results are not that good for that printer.
That leaves the BCI-3e and BCI-6 series. The BCI-6 can also be used on the 8-color printers, just like the BCI-8. I dont know which Graddad uses.
I have run tests in the past for both series, but only to find that the printhead was slightly clogged from using Image Specialists ink, therefore giving me false results. I have since redone the test for the four colors, (CMYB), and have the results. This test was done with my ip5000.
The Cyan, Yellow and Black are exactly the same inks, what changes is the Magenta. The BCI-6 (#IJC-4424) prints darker than the BCI-3e (#IJC-4420). Now depending on the results you want, you may use one or the other. If one buys the BCI-6 set and finds that it is to red, one can dilute the Magenta to 90% ink and 10% distilled water, or, 80% to 20%, which ever pleases you. The more you dilute it will go from reddish-magenta tint to a greenish-yellow tint, somewhere in between you should find the color that pleases you.
For the majority of users the BCI-3e should work good, the only problem is that if you like it more red you cannot increase it. I find them both to be very close, but that is my opinion only, and I do not want anybody to just relay on my opinion.
I will be working on the photo colors and when I am done, I will post the results.
As for those who want ink to be exactly like the Canon brand, I have found no such animal yet. From testing dozens of different inks, I find that the biggest difference between Canon and others is the Magenta. I have arrived to these results by taking original Canon cartridges and using 5-Canon colors and one from another manufacturer, and then examining the difference. The yellows sometimes differ quite a bit to, but not as often. A very expensive test, but curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought him back.
I hope this helps to clarify some of the confusion.
Robert