Help wtih Canon i560

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I have not been here for a while since I been busy and really what seemed to be the solution probably would be buy a new print head or printer.

I just refilled my printer with magenta and cyan. So now I got black,magenta and cyan are now self refilled. Yellow is still genuine but was the first cart I refilled then stopped using it because of these problems.

Now I noticed when I refilled the yellow cart we saw(see pics) that magenta was being contaminated.

Now that I have magenta as being refilled. Yellow gets contaminated and magenta is just fine.

I noticed when I printed 2 weeks ago that yellow had hardly contamination and a day before I printed it seemed like there was no contamination.

I remember when I had all 3 of them legit after the problem happened that it still got cross contaminated but when Id id these 2 tests cyan and magenta where almost empty so I don't know if that had an effect on the contamination.

I just don't understand if it was a leak why all of a sudden it is doing the reverse?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
If any of your carts leak, the sponges in the park position can become saturated with ink. When a nozzle becomes covered with liquid ink, it is possible for that ink to be drawn up into the nozzle(s) (and eventually all the way back into the cart) if any cart has a slightly negative pressure at its exit (the normal situation when a cart is operating properly). This is the usual cause of cross-contamination.

A cart usually leaks because the refill hole isn't sealed properly or because it is overfilled.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
If any of your carts leak, the sponges in the park position can become saturated with ink. When a nozzle becomes covered with liquid ink, it is possible for that ink to be drawn up into the nozzle(s) (and eventually all the way back into the cart) if any cart has a slightly negative pressure at its exit (the normal situation when a cart is operating properly). This is the usual cause of cross-contamination.

A cart usually leaks because the refill hole isn't sealed properly or because it is overfilled.
Well when where the part where the nozzle of the cart lays on has some ink but I would think that would be normal since the metal is touching the the nozzle.

When I filled them up and took of the piece of tap not one drop came out. I even left it for a minute to 2 mins and not one drop came out.

The only way is if I start pushing on the cart and try to force it out.

So I doubt there leaking. When I had this same problem with yellow I left it out for an entire night and not one drop came out.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chobo2,...The other source of contamination is the parking pads. If they aresaturated with ink, this ink will wick back up from one set of nozzles to the others. What color is Yellow contaminated with. I would suspect it is magenta. Once a ink cart is contaminated, the only thing to do is to replace it or remove all the old ink, flush it will water, drain the water out and dry it and then refill it with good ink. If your purge unit is not sucking excess ink away from the pads then they can contaminate other ink carts.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Chobo2, it looks like your Yellow ink tank is overfilled and ink leaks out from the Yellow nozzles. Although before your plug it into the printer it did not leak from the exit port it leaked when it was plugged in. The reason it leaked only after it was plugged in is because of pressure increase down at the nozzles at the bottom of the entire ink system. The nozzle opening is so tiny. The internal pressure inside the nozzles is higher than that in the exit port. This is something most people don't understand. The fix to this problem is to remove some ink from the sponge of your Yellow ink tank. The easiest method to do it to to blow air into the vent at the top of the ink cartridge. The vent is near the rear end. Just make sure it is clean and free of ink there. Blow air with your mouth and watch ink coming out of the exit port. If you can remove 1 - 2 cc of ink the cartridge will no longer leak from the nozzles. But it will take some pages of printing to get rid of the already contaminated ink from inside the print head and its ink intake. I have been there, done that. Give it a try!

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Chobo2, it looks like your Yellow ink tank is overfilled and ink leaks out from the Yellow nozzles. Although before your plug it into the printer it did not leak from the exit port it leaked when it was plugged in. The reason it leaked only after it was plugged in is because of pressure increase down at the nozzles at the bottom of the entire ink system. The nozzle opening is so tiny. The internal pressure inside the nozzles is higher than that in the exit port. This is something most people don't understand. The fix to this problem is to remove some ink from the sponge of your Yellow ink tank. The easiest method to do it to to blow air into the vent at the top of the ink cartridge. The vent is near the rear end. Just make sure it is clean and free of ink there. Blow air with your mouth and watch ink coming out of the exit port. If you can remove 1 - 2 cc of ink the cartridge will no longer leak from the nozzles. But it will take some pages of printing to get rid of the already contaminated ink from inside the print head and its ink intake. I have been there, done that. Give it a try!
I think I tired that once and it never worked for me(nothing every came out). Would I get the same effect if I just used the needle and took out ink from the sponge part?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Well, maybe you did not actually blow air into the vent. I do that all the time, especially right after a cartridge is refilled. I do it to make sure the sponge is partially empty. Ink always comes out of the exit port when air is blown into the vent.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Well, maybe you did not actually blow air into the vent. I do that all the time, especially right after a cartridge is refilled. I do it to make sure the sponge is partially empty. Ink always comes out of the exit port when air is blown into the vent.
Maybe.

Can you show me a pic of where to blow that would help :)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I do not have a digital camera on hand. But I can describe it. Just look at any ink cartridge already plugged into the printer. The front end of the cartridge has the plastic tap that latches in with the print head carriage. You will have to push the tap toward the rear end in order to unplug it. That's the front end of the cartridge. You want to look at the rear end of the cartridge for the vent. You will see a groove about a quarter inch wide about 1/4" from the rear edge of the cartridge. One end of that groove makes a 90 degree turn and extends into under the label of the cartridge. It connects to the maze covered by the label. The actual vent is at the center of the maze. But it is under the label. So the opening of the vent is really the groove near the rear end of the label. Just blow into the tiny opening at the rear end of the label. If you do not have any label on the top of the cartridge you will have to blow directly into the center of the maze at the top of the cartridge.

The maze should be covered by a label, only allowing the vent to open at the rear end of the label. People who don't use their printer frequently will run into problems when they use cartridges with the labels removed and the maze exposed. Covering the maze is necessary to keep the ink inside the sponge from drying up yet it provides air venting necessary for the ink cartridge to work.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
Sorry, I do not have a digital camera on hand. But I can describe it. Just look at any ink cartridge already plugged into the printer. The front end of the cartridge has the plastic tap that latches in with the print head carriage. You will have to push the tap toward the rear end in order to unplug it. That's the front end of the cartridge. You want to look at the rear end of the cartridge for the vent. You will see a groove about a quarter inch wide about 1/4" from the rear edge of the cartridge. One end of that groove makes a 90 degree turn and extends into under the label of the cartridge. It connects to the maze covered by the label. The actual vent is at the center of the maze. But it is under the label. So the opening of the vent is really the groove near the rear end of the label. Just blow into the tiny opening at the rear end of the label. If you do not have any label on the top of the cartridge you will have to blow directly into the center of the maze at the top of the cartridge.

The maze should be covered by a label, only allowing the vent to open at the rear end of the label. People who don't use their printer frequently will run into problems when they use cartridges with the labels removed and the maze exposed. Covering the maze is necessary to keep the ink inside the sponge from drying up yet it provides air venting necessary for the ink cartridge to work.
I think I found it. Like I see this grove on the top of my cart. and it seems to make a 90 degree turn and disappear into the label and the first word on the label is canon. So you want me to blow there right?