Hello Everyone. Canon Pixma 2510 Black Print Head / Cartridge

iNeed2Pee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
Hello everyone,

I’ve just signed up after lurking for a while and finding many helpful solutions here. Unfortunately, I’ve run into an issue I can’t seem to resolve.

My Canon Pixma G2510’s black print head has stopped working, and despite following all the maintenance steps in the manual, it seems beyond repair. I purchased the printer directly from Canon, and replacement cartridges are hard to find—those I have found are priced around £45 with VAT and delivery.

Oddly, while the printer is labelled as a G2510, both Windows 10 and Linux Mint recognise it as a G2010. I’ve seen lower-priced cartridges for the G2010 on Aliexpress (e.g., QY6-8003 for Black and QY6-8019 for Colour), but none for the G2510, which uses QY6-8011 for Black and QY6-8023 for Colour.

Could anyone advise if these low priced G2010 cartridges or any others would work with my G2510? I’ve attached some photos for of the original G2510 for reference.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

Attachments

• Black.png
    Black.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
  • colour.png
    colour.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 8

iNeed2Pee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
Thanks, The Hat. I’ve resolved plenty of printer issues in the past thanks to your posts; I used to follow the forum as a guest.

I tried the hot water technique, but unfortunately, it didn’t work, and I’m still getting faded lines. It seems I may need to replace the cartridges.

My cartridges are QY6-8011 for black and QY6-8023 for colour, but the Aliexpress link shows QY6-8002 and QY6-8018. Do you think there’s a chance they might not be compatible? At £8.84, it’s not much of a loss if they don’t work, but I really want to keep my printer and resist planned obsolescence.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon has divided the world into 8 regions. For instance Europe is region 5 and North America meaning US and Canada is region 2. Canon printers intended for use in one region will only work with cartridges for that region.

The type number G2010 is the name of the printer series. for the actual printer the 0 is replaced with a region dependent number. For use in Europe the printer will be named G2510 and in North America it will be G2210.

This means that the cartridges from Aliexpress will not work with your printer as they are intended for use with printers from another region which can be seen from the different type numbers.

This post has a list of Canon regions.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I found the cartridges on the Aliexpress site, and noticed this under "Specifications":

Description​

Please buy according to the original cartridge model (previously used cartridge model), not directly according to the printer model, because the same model of printer may use different cartridge models in different regions.

If your original cartridge is QY6-8003 QY6-8019, our product is compatible with your printer. If your original cartridge is not QY6-8003 QY6-8019, our product will not be compatible with your printer. Please do not buy it.

Last edited:

iNeed2Pee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
Canon has divided the world into 8 regions. For instance Europe is region 5 and North America meaning US and Canada is region 2. Canon printers intended for use in one region will only work with cartridges for that region.

The type number G2010 is the name of the printer series. for the actual printer the 0 is replaced with a region dependent number. For use in Europe the printer will be named G2510 and in North America it will be G2210.

This means that the cartridges from Aliexpress will not work with your printer as they are intended for use with printers from another region which can be seen from the different type numbers.

This post has a list of Canon regions.

I wasn’t aware of that, thank you for the clarification. It’s a shame that cartridges are region-specific, especially since everything else on my printer is working perfectly. It would be such a waste to have a good printer go to waste just because of incompatible cartridges.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

iNeed2Pee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
Post a photo of the front of the cart showing label, please..
Thanks for your help with this. I've attached the photos of the cartridges as requested. Please note that there aren’t any stickers on the cartridges because I had to remove them during the initial installation, as per the printer's setup instructions.

Let me know if you need any more information, and I appreciate your time looking into this for me!

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7585.JPEG
    IMG_7585.JPEG
    77.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7586.JPEG
    IMG_7586.JPEG
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7587.JPEG
    IMG_7587.JPEG
    132.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7588.JPEG
    IMG_7588.JPEG
    165.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7584.JPEG
    IMG_7584.JPEG
    76.5 KB · Views: 6

iNeed2Pee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
I found the cartridges on the Aliexpress site, and noticed this under "Specifications":

Yes, I noticed the disclaimer throughout my research and thought I'd ask here before buying anything. I also saw the one-star reviews, which mentioned that while the cartridges fitted properly, some didn’t work for the buyers. However, there was no way to know if they were using the same model as mine.

It seems a bit underhanded of Canon to give us a large ink tank on one hand, but then limit its potential use on the other.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
eplacement cartridges are hard to find—those I have found are priced around £45 with VAT and delivery.
It’s Practically impossible without the original code label to identify the proper cartridge for your printer, that why I asked for a Pic of the front of the cart.

What is the full title of your printer, is it a G2510 and is the black cart pigment or dye.. Can you provide a link to the place where you were quoted £45