Hi Peter
Yes, the paper is the flatest I have ever come across!!

This is one of its more attractive features, it is not too stiff for 280g and does not curl with time.
I said earlier I would summarise the changes I had made to produce the improvement in the greys colour balance. So here are some thoughts for those who are interested. They may not be appropriate to other equipment setups.
The suggested process for creating a profile is, initially to test print all the available OEM printer paper type profiles on the intended paper and to select the best one to use throughout, including subsequent printing.
This can be attempted, by printing a colour spectrum file. I used MediaOptimiser_V2.tif, which can be found on the Web. This file has all the colours and shows the effects of the different Canon media profiles. It showed emphasis in different parts of the spectrum, including some areas of excess ink, on the ink/paper combination I was using. I originally selected Photo Paper Pro ll as my media setting, rather than the suggested Glossy paper setting.
In my revised set up, I have changed this to Plain Paper.
Bearing in mind that I am using a heavy weight resin coated, micro porous paper with, I believe, a built in whitener, this may seem strange. It did to me. But I remembered a Web review, which referred to media profile selection and stated that the best option found was plain paper.
It is difficult to fathom the range of affects the choice of OEM media setting has on the overall process. Does it affect ink volume laid on the paper? Highly likely. Does it affect colour profiling and conflict with the profile you are creating? Possibly.
One of the issues with the process is that you are confronted with so many setting variables, some of which interact, that it is almost impossible to try all the combinations or keep control of the resulting comparison data. So luck plays a part.
The next issue that became apparent, in the profiling process, (having printed four sheets of colour patches), some measured colour patches, as viewed on the calibrated, comparison display, looked very different from their intended colours. It is expected that there will be differences, that is why you are profiling, but some colour patches stood out. The usual reaction is reading error, but careful checking ruled this out.
This problem resulted in the consumption of a great deal of paper and time. Initially, I thought it was all part of the profiling process, but the end results proved unsatisfactory.
I tried many ideas to solve the problem without success. More or less out of the blue (pun intended) and with a little previous experience, I thought of trying a clear film sheet between the spectrocolorimeter head and the patch printouts.
The spectrocolorimeter results were quite surprising. Certain patches became remarkably different in measured colour and very much closer, visually, to their correct shade, while the majority were little, if any changed. The resulting profiles were now looking good. The greys were now looking grey.
The crystal clear film I used is about 0.002 inch thick and as yet, of unknown plastic, it appears similar to that used by florists. (I have subsequently bought a metre square from a florist and it performs similarly). To the eye, it has no visual effect on the colours. My assumption is that it is preventing the spectro reacting to the UV end of the blue generated by the whitening agent added to the resin coated paper. Whether the software has a switch to correct for whitened paper, as speculated in my earlier post, is irrelevant if the film removes the problem.
The film is also beneficial in providing a smoother transition of the spectro across the paper when strip reading.
The remaining factor in the application of the profile was the selection of rendering intent and this seems now, to have a closer relevance to the expected influence on a printed colour patch scale and is more a process of individual choice, than it was. I am currently in favour of using of using Relative Colorimetric with Adobe RGB.
Significantly, I did not have to make any adjustments to the new colour profile (colour or tone sliders in SpyderPrint) to produce the print, unlike the earlier profiles, which tended to require extensive and often unsuccessful adjustment.
In respect of the original problem, the grey colour shift after the first half inch of printing, this appears to have been largely removed, by the change to plain paper in the media setting.