AdobeRGB option in Printer Profile (Canon Driver)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not really getting it - please read the older postings - AdobeRGB is not a printer profile but a color space so it won't be available as a printer profile for a specific printer. You probably have an option somewhere to select between AodbeRGB or sRGB, and the driver uses the Canon printer profile if you activate that profile via the ICM option. But the driver does not let you select any other .icc or .icm drivers e.g. created by paper manufacturers.

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
I did eventually, not 100% sure what I did but the AdobeRGB option showed up in the printer driver as shown in the picture. I remember obtaining the Adobe ICC Profiles from the Internet, I would guess I must have put the relevant .icc profile in a folder somewhere and then it's available from the list.

Do you have the .icc profiles? PM me your email address if not and I'll send them to you. Also if you manage to work out which folder the file needs to be in let me know because I can't remember!

I think I used the AdobeRGB1998.icc file in the end.

*edit* just realised you can click the file name and there's an Install option. I might have done this first and then it appeared in the list.

Attachments

• AdobeRGB Input Profile.JPG
    AdobeRGB Input Profile.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Alles_volta

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP8720
@Ink stained Fingers - you are right that the AdobeRGB is a color space and not a printer profile. But the question here is that Canon claims its printers can print sRGB and AdobeRGB color gamut images, and there are settings for it in the driver, which are enabled or disabled based on the ICM files available for the driver to use.

@Roberto Smith , I do have them installed at the right places. The fact that it still doesnt show up probably means that for my printer iP8720, there is no option for it to be enabled. Or that my printer cannot print images of AdobeRGB color gamut and can only do sRGB.

Maybe as a last try, could you take a snapshot like I did of the rgb profiles from your folder?
"C : \Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color"

Attachments

• adobeRGB_driver_snap.jpg
    adobeRGB_driver_snap.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 28

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have the Canon iP8720 and I cannot for the life of me get the AdobeRGB profile to show up on the printer ICM color profile setting.
If you go into Photoshop and click on Edit on the top bar, and scroll down to Colour Setting and click on it you’ll get this tab and in here you’ll find the “ sRGB setting and by opening that you’ll see all your printer profiles, but no sRRB..

Maybe this might put your mind to rest..
Capture.JPG click to enlarge..

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
@Ink stained Fingers - you are right that the AdobeRGB is a color space and not a printer profile. But the question here is that Canon claims its printers can print sRGB and AdobeRGB color gamut images, and there are settings for it in the driver, which are enabled or disabled based on the ICM files available for the driver to use.

@Roberto Smith , I do have them installed at the right places. The fact that it still doesnt show up probably means that for my printer iP8720, there is no option for it to be enabled. Or that my printer cannot print images of AdobeRGB color gamut and can only do sRGB.

Maybe as a last try, could you take a snapshot like I did of the rgb profiles from your folder?
"C : \Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color"

There's lots of files in this folder on my PC, however in the "Input Profile" in the Printer Driver there are only two options: Standard and AdobeRGB(1998).

"@Roberto Smith , I do have them installed at the right places. The fact that it still doesnt show up probably means that for my printer iP8720, there is no option for it to be enabled. Or that my printer cannot print images of AdobeRGB color gamut and can only do sRGB."

This is basically the issue I was having for ages and then it suddenly appeared in the Input Profile drop-down menu. I followed Canon's guidance to the letter and it didn't work. I rang their tech support and even they couldn't tell me why it wasn't working or how to fix it. I just checked it one day and there it was.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Alles_volta

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP8720
@The Hat , thank you, but my issue is not that. I can export and print adobeRGB color space images. I do this from lightroom. Attached is my lightroom profiles list and I can see and select and export the image to adobeRGB. The issue is - I want the printer driver to be able to do this without me opening up another application and going around the native printer settings. Canon says I can do that, but I cant seem to.

Attachments

• adobeRGB_lightroom.png
    adobeRGB_lightroom.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 26

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I must admit I'm still not getting the issue, but let me just mention one issue - there is a flag 'profile type' in the profile header which declares the use of a particular profile or color space. Only icc profiles with the profile flag 'prtr' will be used when it comes to printing - these are typically the printer profiles specific for a particular printer and paper and ink type. Printer profiles in this sense are output profiles - output of graphics/image data from the profile connection space - PCS - to the particular output device - like printers or displays. The profile connection space is neutral e.g. defined in the Lab color space. And there are images - from a scanner or a camera which can have a separate profile and color space, and the profile flag defines that. Any software printing - as a separate program or a printing module as part of a graphics program will only list output profiles with the resp. profile tag , and other icc files in the same directory won't be listed if they are not flagged as an output profile. And the little image above just shows this setting - AdobeRGB as an input color space. Where are the images coming from is one of the open questions., and with it whether the images have been taken with a camera setting 'AdobeRGB' as well to start with . Printers can typically cover a wide range of the sRGB space, and sometimes exceeding sRGB in smaller areas, it all depends on the right ink - paper combination how far this can go. But again - the output process printing via a icc profile does not know anything if the data in the profile connection space came via an sRGB or AdobeRGB coded device into the PCS.

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
When I had some custom .icc profiles created I was sent a file or a link that turns off all the colour management for your printer and then prints a big grid of all different colours. It's when I did this that I realised my Pixma Pro 100s could actually print a much wider gamut that I'd been able to get out of it so far. So if you want to know the colour range of your printer you might be able to try something like this. There might be someone else on here who knows what I mean and where you can get the app to do this.

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
If I'm understanding the requirements correctly, the attached image shows what he's trying to do. This is what I spent about 3 months try to get to work, that is in the Canon Printer driver menu: Main > Manual Colour Adjustment > Matching then the Input Profile drop-down menu, you need to be able to choose Adobe RGB (1998). Initially the only option is "Standard" and so whilst I found I could print AdobeRGB in programs such as Illustrator, any other program that didn't have colour management built-in would just print in sRGB.

Once I'd managed to get the AdobeRGB option to appear in the Input Profile menu I found that the DEFAULT colour gamut was printing much wider no matter which program I printed from. I think this is what the OP is wanting to do but I can't remember how I got the option to appear in the drop-down list. Canon claim you can do this by following their on-line instructions but I tried more times than I care to remember and it didn't work. I tried ringing them and got them to talk me through it whilst on the phone and it didn't work. I followed advice from here and multiple other Internet sources and it didn't work. Except one day it just did and I have no idea why.

The question here would therefore appear to be: how do you get the Input Profile drop-down menu to give you the option of selecting AdobeRGB option as well as the default Standard option?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was sent a file or a link that turns off all the colour management for your printer and then prints a big grid of all different colours
Printing the color gride is part of the profiling process - you print a color grid with 100 - 3000 color spots, you scan all the color patches , and the profiling software created the actual printer profile, you can do that with a free ArgyllCMS softwre or with commercial packages like ccStudio, i1Studio, ColorMunki and similar. The scanner needed for this process is a spectrocolorimeter like an i1pro1 or i1Pro 2 or i1Pro3 which are the most commonly used devices for this activity. There is plenty of information about the profiling process in this thread

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ing-on-your-computer.8570/page-49#post-142558