AdobeRGB option in Printer Profile (Canon Driver)

Alles_volta

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP8720
yes @Roberto Smith summarized it correct. I cannot get AdobeRGB option to show up on my native printer driver settings. You can compare this attached image to what he has. You can see that the dropdown doesnt have adobeRGB as an option, even after following Canon's recommended steps of installing the icc profiles from Adobe (yes we can continue to discuss whether its a color space or a profile, but thats beside the point).

@Ink stained Fingers Thanks for the link

Attachments

• driver_settings_ip8720.jpg
    driver_settings_ip8720.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 34

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
If you figure it out be sure to let me know how you did it. If I ever need to set mine up again I don't want to spend another three months figuring it out. If it helps this is the all the locations of the file "AdobeRGB1998.icc" on my C drive. Quite a few of these definitely won't be relevant but one of them might be what made it work in the end. I seem to remember all I was doing was constantly installing it (right-click file and selecting "install profile") and when that didn't work just copying the file over from one location to another (I think I was copying it to the system32\spool\drivers folder but can't be sure).

Again I know a .icc profile isn't a colour space but for some reason it seems like it can be made to act like one when using it as the Input Profile on a Canon printer. Canon told me it's basically a colour correction method and makes the printer output out in a wider colour gamut than sRGB without needing to specify it in a particular piece of software.

Attachments

• file locations.JPG
    file locations.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think I'm stepping out of this thread since it deals very much Canon specific. And the issue with the status of adobe98 remains

(yes we can continue to discuss whether its a color space or a profile, but thats beside the point)

Alles_volta

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP8720
@Roberto Smith , that looks promising. I will give that a try. Just to make sure I did the installation of the driver correctly, I uninstalled it just a little while ago to do it again. I will run it and let you know the result.

@Ink stained Fingers , If I fix my issue, we will get back to bashing the industry for muddying the terms - gamuts, profiles and spaces. Thanks for the help

Alles_volta

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP8720
@Roberto Smith Yes, that is infact the way ! Thanks a ton.
Well, now you know too. Install the icc profile, and then install the patch for adobeRGB.

Attachments

• adobeRGB_driver_snap_2.jpg
    adobeRGB_driver_snap_2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: