Stratasys case against Bambu and others

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Just reading this posted on Redditt and thought that others may find this of interest/concern/amusement/horror :th

I have not yet read and digested all the comments but one from someone named WealtheSea8475 who seems knowledgeable in patent areas:
Stratasys Inc. is alleging infringement on five (5) separate issued patents, the claims of which are (greatly) summarized below with associated priority dates in the order listed in the complaint:

(1) A method for performing a purge operation (US 9,421,713) has a priority date of 3/2013.

(2) A build platform having a polymer coating thereon (US 9,592,660) has a priority date of 12/2014.

(3) A method for generating a remnant path in a void region for filling of a cavity (US 7,555,357) has a priority date of 1/2006.

(4) A method for creating a signal to control a printer component based on a detected contact force (US 9,168,698) has a priority date of 10/2013.

(5) A 3D printer having a controller that can calculate a contact force (US 10,556,381) has a priority date of 10/2015.

Everyone on this thread should take comments and opinions very, very, very lightly... Also, while I share in the general vibes of problems at the USPTO, there is absolutely no ill-intention from Examiners issuing patents. They do *the best they can* with (sometimes) limited experience in a particular field and the point system governing them.

Also, generally speaking, a "patent troll" is typically characterized as a non-practicing entity (i.e., the entity doesn't actually provide the products/services covered by the claims). I'm fairly certain Stratasys Inc. is not a troll... Trolls have trouble receiving financial damages through litigation. They tend to overpower small entities having limited funds with the intention of settling out before that stage is reached.

What seems much more likely, the 7 defendants listed either did not perform due diligence (Willful infringement will explode financial damages by threefold) or did so and feel their design around attempt was strong enough to warrant no licensing agreement from Stratasys Inc.
Stratasys asked for an injunction (i.e., a court order immediately halting US activity).

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Interesting. I haven't dove deep into it, but I have mixed feelings ranging from "Are these really advances that should be patented and litigated against vs. contributing to the community" vs. "Business is business, and their goal is to make money... and I can't fault them if they are doing it within the law."