question about Canon's new cartridges.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
emmaachile This is the link for empty CLI226 catridges without chip
Great but who would want to buy 226 cartridges anyway, most refillers are dumping them.. :(

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I want to purchase a MG5220 or MX870 or MP495. Which is recommended for the best refill ink method?

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
l-d-allan On CLi-8 I usually put in 10ml in a cart freshly pulled on advice it is low. so 13ml total capacity is about right. This also applies to the BCI-6.

It looks as though these new Carts are approx.44% smaller capacity,I bet they are not proportionately cheaper. More frequent refills look likely.

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK. I just ordered 2 MG5220 and 1 MX870 printer.
Purchase resetters for both printers and the refillable catridges.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Irvweiner, your optical rod would be great because you wouldn't have to remove the cartridge to see the level. The dipstick can't be beat for simplicity. But you can buy very good digital scales now dirt cheap, and those work without opening the cartridge, for what it's worth.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
Irvweiner, your optical rod would be great because you wouldn't have to remove the cartridge to see the level. The dipstick can't be beat for simplicity. But you can buy very good digital scales now dirt cheap, and those work without opening the cartridge, for what it's worth.
Question If one doesnt open the cartridge then how is it possible to refill them..:idunno

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Well, you don't open them, and you don't refill them if they're not close to empty. This give you a way to check without opening the cartridge.

Pharmacist says he can judge with a light on the prism, although with black I had a hard time seeing even though that one cartridge had a window in it. It's whatever works. As I said, not everyone will need this, but this is the only way that I've found that works for my HP printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ThrillaMozilla said:
Well, you don't open them, and you don't refill them if they're not close to empty. This give you a way to check without opening the cartridge.

Pharmacist says he can judge with a light on the prism, although with black I had a hard time seeing even though that one cartridge had a window in it. It's whatever works. As I said, not everyone will need this, but this is the only way that I've found that works for my HP printer.
Thanks ThrillaMozilla..:)