Is your 3D printer killing you slowly?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
They may be all bad, but where does that leave us, we could live our lives in a plastic bubble in our house and never come out, or do what most of us do, and be dammed.

A re-inforced glass bubble would be safer than a plastic one :hide:p

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, this is super interesting!

Check out the carbon fibers getting stuck in his skin!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Check out the carbon fibers getting stuck in his skin!
It’s amazing what guys will do to get likes, he’s trying to scare the hell out of us all and get popular doing so, the world is not a safe place, you can step outside your door and get wiped by a motorised vehicle, does this mean we should ban all forms of transport..

There are many more unhealthy filament out there than carbon fibre, and guys use them regardless, I suppose to be safe we could switch to candle wax instead, I only use PLA and it hasn’t killed me yet, unless one of my bigger pieces falls on my head..:lol:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
Working with carbon fibre in any form is always risky, especially the dust, so nothing new here.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I like Tom and he does good videos. This is def. a bit more sciency with lots of data.

High Level:
Risk-tolerance and risk-management are very interesting and often very personal topics. I try not to judge other people that have different risk-management processes and/or different risk-tolerances (higher or lower) than me.

Where I'm at:
  • PLA: I'm comfortable with the risk/reward of printing PLA in my office close to me. I rarely print huge things and rarely print daily or even weekly. That said, I will probably try to get in the habit of opening a window when printing long items.
  • ABS, etc: I've never printed in ABS, ASA, PETG, etc. If I do, I'd probably stick to printing it in my garage or outside, or wait until I have a printer that is enclosed with a filter... and even then, try to suck/vent the air outside.
In the video below I found this chart especially interesting:
1725220017189.png

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I like Tom and he does good videos. This is def. a bit more sciency with lots of data.
I normally don’t watch videos, but decided to watch this, did I learn anything from it, well no, nothing I didn’t know already, that’s why I only use PLA and am quite happy using it..

Worrying about how much plastic bits that's in the air from 3D printers is useless, because the amount of partials and fumes that cars put out daily onto our city streets is far more alarming.

But our biggest headache should be the amount of plastic waste that’s goes into our environment hourly, because this stuff is already in our food chain and we are consuming quite a bit of it daily, it’s in our blood, all our organs and especially our brains, and we can’t do anything about it.. !

I reckon we should care more about cleaning up our huge plastic waste problem than worrying about climate change.. Anyone care for a large burger with tiny particles of plastic flavouring in it..

Rant over..:duc