Is it possible to switch off a Pixma iP7250 via a DOS command?

John Dalton

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If I switch off my PC and then forget to shut down the iP7250 before I power everything off at the mains I get a warning message the next time I use the printer. I have also read somewhere that it could clog the print head. As my printer is on the floor and the On light is not very bright this is easily done.

As the printer is on a wireless network, the Automatic Power Off function will not work.

What I am after is a DOS command line that will switch off the printer. I switch off my PC (running Win 7) via a Desktop icon that runs the command: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00, so there would be no problem making that the final line in a batch file. What I need is a command line before this that switches off the printer. Obviously it would need to have no effect if the printer is already off. Is there such a command line?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What exactly do you mean by the “Automatic Power Off function will not work” and
Can you send a print job to your printer directly Via Wi Fi without physically having to press the ON button on your printer first ?
Excuse the ignorance but I only use wired connections..:old

John Dalton

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's well hidden, but at the very bottom of P414 of the On-line Manual, "Managing the printer power", it says:

Important

• If you connect this printer to a network and use it, you can set Auto Power Off but the power will not switch off automatically.

Auto Power Off would do exactly what I want, except for the slight fact that it won't work for my setup!

As for having to press the ON button, there is a mention of an Auto Power On that supposedly would do what you suggest. I haven't bothered trying it yet as there's no real advantage over bending down and pressing the ON button.

It's this mention that not switching off the printer in the official way can clog your print head that's making me trying to solve my problem. With my previous iP4300 & iP4700 I didn't seem to have these problems.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You still didn’t answer my question directly, if you hit print in your application will your printer then start-up and print that sheet without you having to bend down and press the ON button ?

Now when you use your printer next time, go into Maintenance and click on the Auto Power tab, in here you can set your printer to power on automatically, even if it doesn’t work under Wi Fi according to Canon, BUT the power off function will work just as long as you press the send button after setting it, regardless whether you computer status is on or off.

upload_2014-6-16_16-54-1.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do not know a DOS command for turning off your printer.

If the power to the printer is always on then the print head should park over the purge pads properly and you will have essentially no greater or lesser chance of clogging than if you had properly turned off the printer.

If Auto Power on/off does not work as you would like then just leave the printer on all the time. Once the print head parks itself then even if the electricity goes out you will be as good as can be. Of course, not using the printer, specifically all the cartridge colors as with a nozzle check, once a week can lead to a clog regardless of whether the print is left on or off.