Help. Brother j6940dw, LC402 cartridge INK TYPE, dye or pigment ?

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
Hi, I have a J6940dw printer, thinking about refilling cartridges, but I'm worried about using the same type of ink as the original LC402
Some sites mention that it is Water Dye in colors and Pigment in black, and other sites mention that it is Pigment in colors and black.

The information I find is confusing, and some sellers claim contrary things about using refill ink.

I still have the printer unopened waiting to find out, or else it's better to get a t4500dw and avoid problems :(

thanks for any info people !!! :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The information I find is confusing, and some sellers claim contrary things about using refill ink.
From what I can gather, all the inks in this model are dye inks and if you examine the black cartridge before you open, its marked as LC422BK .. The “BK” indicating its dye ink..

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
From what I can gather, all the inks in this model are dye inks and if you examine the black cartridge before you open, its marked as LC422BK .. The “BK” indicating its dye ink..
Thank you @The Hat !
I still have the unopened box waiting to clarify my doubts (a little late after buying haha).. But the cartridge it uses is the LC402 (not 422) But as you say, they have the "BK" too
Image attachment

Attachments

• IMG_20240731_023618.jpg
    IMG_20240731_023618.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 34

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
I've been thinking about using the original inks for tanks printer (bt-5001 colors and bt-d60 Black) that are all dye inks.. To refill Cartridges lc402

It's not as cheap as using compatible ink, but I think it's a good and safe idea.. Or not? 🤔

Edit, I just saw a Very impressive post by @Ink stained Fingers Comparing the ink bottle bt5000 dye and I see that its results were very bad, although the post is several years old (2018) I was disappointed. Bt5001 Will it be the same results? Perhaps it is better to use inktec ink at the end?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-31-03-40-01-524_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-31-03-40-01-524_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Only a test can confirm a good or not so good ink performance, printer manufacturers don't tell you any detail about the performance of their inks, it can very well be that inks like the bt5000 or bt50001 are different - or not. You have a similar situation with Epson or Canon tank printer inks - I have seen wide differences between inks during several tests in the past - some inks perform very poor, some are somewhat better and one ink type - typically in the photoprinters - is the best.
There is an option you may consider - using a very good performing Epson ink instead - like the 106 or 114 for the photoprinters ET7750 or ET8550 . I don't know if your black ink is of the dye or pigment type - if it's a pigment ink you just stay with the brother ink.
Both Epson and Brother use the same piezotype printhead , switching inks is not a problem , I did it longer time ago with a DCP195C printer running Epson inks.

Last edited:

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
Both Epson and Brother use the same piezotype printhead , switching inks is not a problem , I did it longer time ago with a DCP195C printer running Epson inks.
@Ink stained Fingers thank you for the info.!
Still in Box the printer, until tomorrow I will open the printer.
But. I think the black in this are pigment.. You say I can switch to dye without a problem. But after using the starter cartridge I need to clean the entire system before put dye ink?
Is it dangerous to refill the original pigment cartridge with dye ink?

Sorry for all my doubts.
Thank you

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Sorry - I was looking for the wrong printer - the J6940dw uses pigment inks for all colors with LC422 cartridges. Tanksytem printers by Brother are not popular in Germany.

https://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ch.../mfc-j6940dw/mfc-series/refillable/empty/cyan

Here is a dealer offering refill accessories, but there is an important note that you need one-time chips, autoreset chips are not available (yet). There are likely similar offers by other dealers in other countries.

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
Thanks @Ink stained Fingers ✌️
I guess it's just because of the change of region. I'm from Mexico and here it says it's cartridge 402, and there it will be 422, but I guess is the same

yo think i can change the pigment to dye ink?? here many stores sell de Ink Brother compatible, but is DYE ink,, i dont know if i can change it,, or mix in the cartridge,,

yes, they use a single use chip. are videos on YouTube of how to reset the printer at each refill to avoid changing the chip. But I'm still not sure if it's worth it.
Still thinking if getting the 4500 for double the price =/
Thank you. 🙌

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Don't mix inks in a cartidge, yoiu may install a cart with dye inks and then run a deep clean or whatever other stronger cleaning command is available via the driver - like a normal clean and a strong clean- but that varies between printers and companies. If you need one-time chips Brother has very much de-activated the use of resettable or Auto-Reset chips which you won't need to change. Or do several normal cleanings - with some time in between.

Last edited:

Sylver_Moon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
j6940dw
(...) If you need one-time chips Brother has very much de-activated the use of resettable or Auto-Reset chips which you won't need to change. Or do several normal cleanings - with some time in between.
Guys thx so much for your help.
I decided to keep the 6940, I have already ordered refillable cartridges. I will wait to use it from the beginning with dye so as not to mix with the initial cartridges.
I'll use the method of resetting the printer
Thanks guys.