Fujifilm SuperCCD cameras produce the best prints I've ever seen...

Fried Chicken

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
...short of film

A bit of history for the Fujifilm SuperCCD: it's a unique sensor made by fujifilm (you know, the one that made film for decades, and so knows a thing or two about color) back in the early 00's.
The technology lost out due to the Megapixel Wars of early digital cameras: photographers wanted to see a big megapixel number. The sensors itself has 12 megapixels, but each "pixel" has two "pixels" (humor me), one for low light levels, one for high light levels. Afterwards an algorithm interpolates the image to produce something anywhere between 6MP and 12MP result (If you choose a "12MP" picture). All of this is unfortunately a bit complicated.

Anyway, after getting my ET-8550 and going haywire with making prints, I decided to print out some really old pictures I have from my first camera.
My jaw dropped b/c the prints looked better than any pictures from any of my other cameras. They looked like film from a photo lab.

This can all be read up on, and for not much money a SuperCCD camera can be had and you can see for yourself and make your own decision.

FujiFilm really was on to something, but it's another example of the failure of market capitalism: the consumer is stupid.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I must admit tht I'm not getting the point how the SuperCCD is
another example of the failure of market capitalism: the consumer is stupid.
And why is the consumer stupid. ? And what is the connection between a SuperCCD and the ET-8550 ?

The SuperCCD - a smaller and a larger pixel binned together by software was supposed to increase the exposure latitude which was at the days of the SuperCCD not as wide as on the sensors today - with an even higher pixel count. Today's sensors can do 12 f-stops latitude - that's much more than any printer can handle - just go along the luminance axis - 50% is 1 f-stop darker - a L of 25% makes 2 f-stops , an L of 12% makes 3 f-stops and a luminance of 6% makes just 4 f-stops, and an L of 6 is about the blackpoint you get with good inks on a glossy paper.
You may gain another f-stop if you use some non-linear gamma or other tricks but no printer will ever reach the
luminance latitude of sensors today or even those from 20 years ago - not the ET-8550 or other printers from 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Fried Chicken

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
Fujifilm had a superior technology at the time but lost out to the stupid consumer who only wanted to see megapixel numbers.

The dynamic range by itself doesn't produce the superior prints, there is some other magic in these cameras that shines when printed. I encourage you to try for yourself. Fujifilm, with decades of film development experience, knew what they were doing when they developed these sensors.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I encourage you to try for yourself.
I don't have a Fujifilm camera available - not digital nor analogue.

And there are or were other companies wtih decades of film development experience which gave their films another color look which users apparently liked as well. You can use a raw converter like DxOLab with an film pack add-on which let you choose the color look between various Kodak - Fujifilm etc film types, that would be the approach to come close to the Fujifilm look with digital equipment.
I think the story ends here for me - as a Nikon user with 35 Mpixels...

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The dynamic range by itself doesn't produce the superior prints, there is some other magic in these cameras that shines when printed. I encourage you to try for yourself. Fujifilm, with decades of film development experience, knew what they were doing when they developed these sensors.

please visit dpreview.com and load the comparison image of a Fuji 12MP camera like the X30 and compare it to modern camera. You can also download the files and print them. You will find that there are tons of better cameras.

Fried Chicken

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
Gee golly gosh, I'm sorry for reporting and sharing my experiences.. my eyes, and the eyes of the the blind (metaphorically) other subjects must be wrong, when random engineering numbers report different results.

Gosh darnit