Canon Pro 10 - Clogged nozzle or something else

Hans

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
Hello,

Last weekend I tried restarting my canon pixma pro-10.
I noticed a very faint dotted line during the nozzle check on the grey color, is this an indication of a blocked nozzle or something else?
I hope it is clear on the attached files.

I have been performing a cleaning cycle and nozzle check daily since the weekend, but no improvement so far.
The printer has not worked the last couple of years and has been moved (Due to moving and renovations).
I am running third party ink (octoink) on all inks apart from grey, magenta and red due to previous issues with ink starvation, see this thread (Self inflicted by not properly flushing the carts before refilling).
Due to the lack of time back then I just replaced the problem cartridges with OEM ones to see if that would help, and it did (thanks for the help on that one and pointing me in the right direction). But I never got round to properly flushing and retrying with the third party ink on those colors.
It is possible this dotted line was there already back then, but went unnoticed.
I am a bit afraid I might have burnt one of the nozzles as before I properly researched the issue of ink starvation a few years ago I might have done a few too many consecutive cleaning cycles.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Nozzle Check Pro10.PNG
    Nozzle Check Pro10.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Grey nozzle.PNG
    Grey nozzle.PNG
    535.2 KB · Views: 45

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wouldn’t worry about such a small issue, just print as normal because it won’t show up on your prints, and as you print more with the printer you’ll find this little issue will completely disappear.. The OEM ink will clean any remaining dots out as you go..
I might have done a few too many consecutive cleaning cycles.
Tip:- you can do as many normal cleaning cycles in a row as you like, but not the deep cleans, restrict them to one at a time over several hours..

Hans

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
Thanks, I was a bit worried I would damage something by printing with a blocked nozzle. I'll stick to OEM for now in the hopes of it solving itself by frequent printing :).
I'll probably follow the example from Palombian and fully switch to OEM inks from bigger PGI29 or PFI cartridges. Again thanks for all the info that can be found around here, it has helped a lot.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Wouldn't it be smart to do a simple soak in Windex Original for a while. How long a "while" I am never sure about how long before there is a chance to be damaging. If there is no damage issue, then I would. OK I have to admit I have done it for my Pro-100, a while ago, I did a soak overnight. It did work for my Pro-100, and the print-head has giving me no problems now for couple of years.

BTW, the same with my cartridges. I did a full cleaning, meaning a rinse with Windex Original, then a long drying (I had the luxury of a month) with a paper clip rubber-banded to the output opening, then a refill with OctoInkJets inks and all cartridges have performed very well. I have 2 sets both in spare, plus the set in the printer, and I replace a cartridge, only the one, as soon as I get a low alarm. Then when I have no spare of a particular color, I go for a complete refill of all 3 sets. This process has worked well for me.

As long as my print-head, OK I mean my printers print-head, keeps working, I plan to keep with "the plan". As for me, I can only say I recommend it.

I do LOVE my Pro-100. The print quality, the ink usage, Fast is little use for day-to-day documents, High is great photo quality although you go through a lot of ink fast. Then I have comments about the "Paper-Feed". I have not seen any other printer so handy. My printer sits literally at arms-length beside me, and when I need a paper change, like for an envelope, it's a simple reach with one arm for the 8.5x11 out and envelopes in. The reverse is the same. Even the sliders in the tray, they give a nice click into their position. The top of the printer is also flat and large enough to hold a small supply of something like 5 different paper sizes.

Sorry, I get a bit emotional about my printer. But when you have one that works so well, who might not get emotional. It deserves loyalty. I have a spare print-head. For me the biggest anxiety is the motherboard. As long as all these parts keep working I'll stick to my Pro-100. It will be a sad day when it quits. Fritz of kdsdata.

Last edited:

Hans

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro10
Thanks for the tip! I might try as a last resort if the problem does not solve itself after a while. I am a bit worried soaking it will do more damage then good. And as The Hat mentioned, it does not really show up in prints (To my untrained eye at least). Currently working trough a backlog of holiday pictures (scheduled on an A4 once every 48hrs), we will see how it performs after.

Thanks!

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I would worry that printing a lot "with" a blocked channel would just make the clog harden because if that channel is needed for a particular image there is heating involved. It is of course a minute of a minute of a minutes amount of a heating pulse, but I dare say the effect is cumulative. That would make cleaning less likely to succeed. The heating issue of the head is, for example, the reason why deep cleaning is not recommended more that once an hour.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would worry that printing a lot "with" a blocked channel would just make the clog harden
When you have an issue with very small channels clogged, it is better to let the printer itself take care of them, head removal is never recommend for such an issue, OEM ink has the ability to unclog these problems without damaging the effect nozzles..

There are many good reasons for using only OEM inks and this is one of them..

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I did not know that. Goes against "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" ^_^.

I want to mentions, it is amazing how persistent you are in answering us all the time, just awesome. Thanks The Hat.

Last edited: