Canon MG5250 - Disable print functionality and use as scanner?

DerBrot

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hey,

I have been using my Canon MG5250 for the past 13 years now and it has always been a great printer, but recently out of thin air it had been hit by the infamous U052 "Wrong print head installed" error.
I have tried cleaning everything using different solutions, inside the printer and on the print head itself, ensuring the spring loaded pins and the plates made good contact and the inkjet was free of all clogs, but it all has helped nothing.. And so I decided to give up.

I don't really print that much lately anyways but scanning is still very important to me (and buying a new printer just for the scanning would be very expensive) so I just want to disable the whole printing aspect once and for all, no matter if it gets damaged or not. I just want my good scanner to function again.

I have tried the few pictures showing which pins on the print head to tape off to disable all color and the PGBK, but it just keeps on saying U052. Is there any way of bypassing the error and getting the scanner back to life? That would help me a lot.

It has the QY6-0080 print head installed currently.

Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the "tape trick" doesn't work then replacing the printhead might, even if that is expensive. The printhead seems to be still available from regular dealers of Canon spare parts like C1 supplies. Avoid "refurbished" printheads from the far east as sold by Amazon, E bay, Ali baba and more sites. These printheads are used and most likely defective out of the box.

There is a risk that when a Canon printhead fails that it will damage the logic board. A logic board damages this way might damage a new printhead. So replacing the printhead is risky and I cannot tell your odds for success.

Here is a thread on another forum with more info about the tape trick. Maybe you will find something useful?

Carsten Eghoff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP LaserJet P2015n
Hi, I encountered the same error after replacing an ink cartridge. The new cartridge was from a different supplier than my usual one.

I discovered that by using cartridges from my original supplier and then restarting the printer, the error disappeared. I didn't need to clean the print heads or perform any other maintenance.