Can you install new ink cartridge in Stylus Pro 7880 without updating printer firmware?

xray

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stylus Pro 7880
A new Epson ink cartridge was not recognized by my Stylus Pro 7880. About a year ago Epson updated the firmware for this printer, and Epson support and others on the internet say that this can happen when the firmware is not up to date. As it happens, there are serious problems with updating the firmware from Mac OS 14.6.1, and even from another Mac with OS 10.14. There is something wrong with the downloaded software in case of the former, and the printer itself for the latter.

However, the printer was otherwise functional until the ink ran out, and I learned from one of the reps that the cartridge chip was not changed. So, it should work with the old firmware. This contradicts what the other reps say. If the cartridge chip is the same as before, this particular cartridge must be defective. It would cost me about $ 100 for another cartridge to find out, or get advice on this forum.

Anyone with this experience?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is this a genuine Epson cartridge ? If so Epson support should be able to help you. How old is it - you should claim warranty with the dealer. If that's a 3rd party cartridge you might claim warranty with the dealer as well but he might give you some excuses if he denies warranty.

xray

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Stylus Pro 7880
Is this a genuine Epson cartridge ? If so Epson support should be able to help you. How old is it - you should claim warranty with the dealer. If that's a 3rd party cartridge you might claim warranty with the dealer as well but he might give you some excuses if he denies warranty.
Yes, it is a genuine Epson cartridge, bought from a reputable company (IT Supplies) that I have used for Epson ink for about 20 years.

I had, in fact, exchanged more than a dozen emails with Epson support. They gave me the idea of the firmware update by telling me that cartridge recognition issues usually have to do with firmware. However, all they could tell me to do what I already done on the Epson download site. Finally, I was passed onto phone support. It was a little better. I found out that the upgrader cannot get information back from the printer (it is 20 years old, and likely corrupted), preventing installation of the firmware.

From my search on the internet I am nearly persuaded that the issue is exactly the reverse of my situation. After firmware update some third-party cartridges will no longer be recognized. This is one of the purposes of firmware updates.

The question was then, can I live with the old firmware (from 2007) as until now. And why is the Epson cartridge not recognized? Possibly it has a defective chip. Phone support suggested that I buy another one to find out.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would consider your case as a warranty case with the dealer, you got a cartridge from him which is not working, and if you are already a longer time customer of that company they should have an interest to fix your problem. They should give you a replacement cartridge in exchange of the defect one, and that should directly show if that's a firmware problem. I don't know how long the warranty period in your country is - it's 2 years in Europe.
If you want to fiddle around with firmware update etc you may get and consult and use the maintenance manual and the adjustment program for the Pro 7880 - available at a few locations like 2manuals.com

( I was using the Pro 7600 as the pre-predecessor of the 7880 for a long time ~ 20 years without such problems)

Last edited: