Best ink for PG-510 (Canon pigment black)?

dsvilko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum and my head hurts from all the info :) I have just bought a Pixma ip2700 hoping to be able to refill the cartridge a few times before having to buy a new one. Am I hoping to much? I know I will lose the ink level indicator.
Which (inexpensive) ink would you currently recommend? I'm in Europe if it matters.
Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dsvilko Which (inexpensive) ink would you currently recommend?
Only buy the best quality inks and stay away from all the very cheap inks that are on offer on the Web.
The best Pigment black to get is KMP black; there are two types (Black U / Black 220).
KMP ink is not inexpensive, the best inks never are but therere still cheaper than Canon inks (up to 80%) in fact.
There are a lot of places across the EU that you can get KMP inks from, but one I would recommend is octoink.co.uk for bulk ink and supplies.
It would help everyone if you simply put where youre from in your Profile.. :)

dsvilko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm from Croatia so Europe but not EU. Haven't yet checked the shipping charges but the price of KMP ink seems acceptable if it's truly of such a high quality. Do you know if there is a reason why my cartridge (PG-510/512) is not mentioned as compatible? Would it still be safe to buy this ink and which one of the two you mentioned (I need it purely for text printing).
Thanks once again!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
dsvilko

If youre worried about the PGI-510 been compatible, check out KMP.com they have listed the ip2700 as compatible so the KMP-U will work best.
You may also need other supplies like syringes, a resetter and then you can decide which method of refilling your cartridge you wish to use.. :)

dsvilko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
If youre worried about the PGI-510 been compatible, check out KMP.com they have listed the ip2700 as compatible so the KMP-U will work best.
Thanks!
I already have a syringe from a refill kit that was total rubbish (Chinese no-name ink - learned my lesson!). Do I really need a resetter (does one even exist for the ip2700)? I was hoping there would simply be a warning that the ink is running low (that I could ignore). As for the refilling, the only method I came across was to drill a small hole on top and slowly inject the ink. Is there a better way? Maybe try to remove the top of the cartridge so I can actually see how much ink I need to add? It was possible on the similar PG-40 cartridge.

Forgot to ask: how many refills can I expect the original cartridge to last?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
dsvilko

You are probably right about not needing a resetter, as for the hole you can use the original in the cartridge top
its located under the label where the word push is.
If you remove a bit of the label you will quickly see a little ball, stick something in it and pull it out.
You can reseal the hole with blue TAC or hot wax, just as long as its sealed tightly.
There is also another way to fill your cartridge have a look at this way by pharmacist
in pictures http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315
or by ghwellsjr in video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ghw_XoBmCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO51ogjDamk

As for refilling your cartridges, they will probably last the life of the printer so no worries there.. :)

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am going to buy a canon with this cartidge propably and i live in Europe..
http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/Bulk-Ink/Canon-Compatible/
These inks areKMP?

The prices are great.. Local stores sell at 10 euros 100ml with no no name... Only one store claims that sells ink from OCP the others dont tell...
Today i asked a guy who has a shop that sells bulk ink here and got really mad when i asked him about the brand of the ink.. He told me that he cant tell me because he doesnt know me and because i ask many questions :)
He told me that it is from America at least... and that it is good.. I am not going to buy again ink with no name! because sometime they suck.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
Why do I have some feelings this topic is not what it looks like. Maybe I am becoming a bit paranoia...

dsvilko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
There is also another way to fill your cartridge have a look at this way by pharmacist....
Thanks for the info! I have already learned about the 'german' method from looking through this forum. My cartridges are opaque and have an integrated head so look totally different from the BCI-6/8 cartridges. I don't think this cartridge even has a separate compartment with only the ink so the german method is probably not applicable.

To me it sounds incredible that a cartridge with an integrated head can last more than a few refills. Usually people have to buy a new cartridge after two or three refills.

EDIT: Would you recommend this refilling method (PG-40 should be quite similar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4StQkaApas
Should I push the air through the refilling hole after topping up the ink or is it better to just leave the cartridge to sit for a few hours before using it (or both)?

dsvilko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Seems that I am talking to myself :)
I've just bought that little plastic clip thingy that allows the ink to be pulled from below through the cartridge head. Seems like a good idea to help saturate the sponge after the refill (or am I mistaken?). I have also ordered a kmp-u 100ml bottle so will see how it goes. Do you have any more advice concerning the refilling and overall cartridge maintenance? There are a lot of threads about Canon headless cartridges but very few about the PG-510 cartridge.

Latest posts