ArgyllCMS 875-patch printer profile with i1Pro 2

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Today I took some time to took some pictures of my method to create a pretty good printer profile with ArgyllCMS.

ArgyllCMS is a free to use program with a myriad of possibilities on pair with commercial available software packages in terms of quality of output. Unfortunately the cryptic terminal commands can be sometimes a bit confusing. The standard targen command will produce 836 patches if no amount of patches is defined with the -f argument, when choosing for the printRGB as colour space for the printer profile, which you will need to choose when using standard commercial photo printers: these printers expect RGB input, despite the confusing possibility of CMYK profile, which you want to choose when using RIP software/driver.

The target of 875 patches, I am using in manual, is created with 729 colour patches in mind: if you consider the RGB colour space as a 3D-model with the XYZ-axes, the colour samples are taken with 9 steps in each XYZ-axes: for 0% for no ink ("white") and 100% for maximum saturation of one of the colours in mind: Red, Green and Blue (RGB). This means that you will have 9x9x9=729 colour patches to encompass all the possibilities in the RGB-colour space when making steps of 10% for sampling the colour space, by which the profile will be calculated on. The target is enhanced with 128 grey steps to neutralise black and white printing and to obtain a smooth gradient. There are 10 white patches and 10 black patches to fill up the target up to 875 patches in total.

Print the target with example Qimage with the printer profile option set to: OFF (raw data send to the printer, no color management) and choose in the prints tab: original size and also in the printer driver: disable color management, choosing the option: NONE. This way will ensure the target is printed without any colour management and the raw data is sent properly to the printer without any correction (this is what you want). Choose: the size setting: original size and in the printer driver: borderless, no expansion: retain size. The target is be printed on a single sheet of A4 (210x297 mm).
IMG_20240616_114811.jpg

After printing: let the target to be properly dried for at least 1 hour to be sure all the colours patches are properly settled before scanning the patches with the i1Pro2 device.

Align the target under the scanning table jig with the left paper border aligning to the first mark of the scanning ruler (actually the second one, but the first one is almost towards the border), so the paper is properly aligned: this way the movement of the i1Pro2 physcially confined by the ruler when moving the scanner from completely left to completely right and the scanning eye of the i1Pro2 will start from a white area of the target and ends perfectly on a white area of the target to ensure proper reading of the corresponding colour strip by ArgyllCMS.

IMG_20240616_122156.jpg

IMG_20240616_122105.jpg

IMG_20240616_122117.jpg

The first thing we will do is to ensure the ArgyllCMS driver is installed by changing the standard X-rite driver into the ArgyllCMS driver: To force installation of the driver, Windows has be to restarted with the shift button pressed down and choose restart to disable driver signing: Windows will disable drivers that are nog signed by default and you will not be able to install the ArgyllCMS driver.

IMG_20240616_115117.jpg

Open a DOS terminal and go to the directory where you have downloaded the target with the corresponding *.t1, *.t2, makeprofile.bat, AdobeRGB1988.icc files are located.

IMG_20240616_115227.jpg

Type in (see above): "chartread -v -H -T0.4 875-target" and press enter and ArgyllCMS is asking you to put the i1Pro2 device onto the white calibration tile to calibrate the device:

IMG_20240616_115258.jpg

Now start scanning, starting with colour strip A: be sure the i1Pro2 is completely moved left or right of the scanning ruler. You can move from left to right or vice versa. Press the scanning button firmly and hold for about 1-2 seconds before moving the i1Pro2 completely to the opposite side with a constant pace (not too fast) and while pressing the button wait for about 1-2 seconds before releasing the button to register the reading by ArgyllCMS. This will give the i1Pro2 time to activate the internal scanning lamp, otherwise the lamp is only lit, maybe from the second colour patch on, throwing a reading error, because the first patch is not registered. So it very importantly, when pressing the scanning button to wait for about 1-2 seconds before you scan the corresponding strip and wait again 1-2 seconds before releasing the button when you have reached the other side of the strip and the scanning eye is above a white area of the paper, so ArgyllCMS is sure the end of the strip has been reached and the scanning data can be registered.

In my example the first reading failed, because I moved the scanner too fast or not consistently enough. Press on the spacebare to retry the reading.

You will move from a white area of the paper and ends the reading by the eye reading the opposite white area of the paper. If the reading is succesfull you wil be asked to continue with reading colour strip B:

IMG_20240616_115414.jpg

After you have read all the strips succesfully you will get this message:

IMG_20240616_120058.jpg

Now press "d" to ensure the reading is written to the corresponding *.ti3 file. The scanning is now complete and we will now generate the printer profile. Be sure the AdobeRGB1998.icc + makeprofile.bat files (included in the package) is in the working directory, otherwise the process will stop when generating the target. Now type in: "makeprofile" (batch file included with the package):

IMG_20240616_120223.jpg

The batch file will ask for you the internal and external name to be used. Either use a continous name without spaces and if you want to use spaces in the name, please place the name between brackets. For example: My_first_printer_profile_with_ArgyllCMS or "My first printer profile with ArgyllCMS".

The file name is 875-target

the copyright option be be left empty or you can fill in whatever you want: either continously or between brackets (if you want to use spaces in your name).

IMG_20240616_120450.jpg

Now wait for a few minutes for your computer to calculate and generate the printer profile. Unfortunately this process is quite slow, even on fast machines.

IMG_20240616_120456.jpg

IMG_20240616_120750.jpg

The profile process has now completed and your profile can be installed (right click and choose: install profile):

IMG_20240616_120811.jpg

The ArgyllCMS 875 patch file set is included with the topic. Have fun.

Attachments

• ArgyllCMS_875-patch_target_landscape_for_i1Pro2.zip
    6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
After I have installed the profile, I checked the profile with iccview.de

IMG_20240616_120935.jpg

Softproofing with Photoshop with the new profile to see if there are any strange colour gradients (sign of reading errors) using the relative colorimetric intent and NO black point compensation to evaluate if the black/white gradient is gradually without any strange hue changes (sign of reading errors). If you seen strange colour changes or not a smooth gradient in either colour or B&W, reread the target again to regenerate the profile.

IMG_20240616_121403.jpg

cerberus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP DesignJet T120, EPSON M205
Thanks for sharing, whenever I can I read and ask some questions about creating profiles on Argyll. I printed the 875-target.tif using Qimage, remembering to disable color correction in Qimage, in the printer driver, and in the Windows Color Manager (11), I read it with the command "chartread -v -H -T0.4 875-target" I created the profile using the "createprofile" command, but when I opened the profile in GamutVision I noticed that it does not reach a black tone as dark as expected. Do you have any idea what might be causing this problem? Attached I leave the profile created and the .ti3 file, thank you in advance.
Printer: HP DesignJet T120
Ink: OEM (Yes, I'm creating a profile for original paint, because I intend to change to a cheaper one and while it doesn't arrive, I'm going to test it with the original)
Paper: Mory Glossy Photo Paper 180g.

Attachments

• HP T120 ArgyllCMS 875-target.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think it has to do with two things: the paper, is the backside paper like (cast paper) ? And which driver setting you were using to print the target: is it some type of HP Glossy paper setting or did you use normal paper setting ? Also the T120 does not have dedicated photo black, only matte black and on glossy paper the "black" is a composite black made of mixing CMY. Cast papers have a terrible black level and tends to be muted down to a dark gray (especially composite black). Try to make profile with a higher quality paper and also be sure you write down the exact paper/driver setting (choose something like HP Premium Glossy paper for the driver/paper setting).. The black level should be much better (but not as good as a printer with a dedicated photo black).

Here is my profile with the P800 with a chinese pigment ink from Aliexpress (Ocbestjet Art Pigment K3)

Attachments

• SihlX_Glossy_280_gsm_Epson_SC-P800_Ocbestjet_K3_V3_ArgyllCMS_875-patch_target.zip
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

cerberus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the reply, i'll try it later with Argyll and the ES-2000. I did a profile with the photo matte 180g paper from the same brand of the glossy one, but i used the Spyder3print (i know, it's not the best choice in printer profiling) and the result is here.

Attachments

• HP T120 OEM Mory Foto Matte 180g.zip
    686.4 KB · Views: 29

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have looked at your profile for matte paper and the black level is really out of this world, not even reached by the P900 with the special extra black mode: this way the blacks are coated with extra LLB and MB to increase blackness. I think it is an artifact by the Spyder3print or your black pigment ink is of superior quality that can produce that deep black. This not possible I think. Try to make the profiles again with the superior ES-2000 (rebranded i1Pro2 so compatible to ArgyllCMS) for both the matte and the glossy papers. I am sure the black level for the matte paper will be elevated alot.

I noticed the Spyder3printer profiles look very angular (no smooth and curved body like the ones created by ArgyllCMS), probably due to the much lower patch count of the target. I used to make profile with the Spyder3printer, and I was really underwhelmed by the profiles created by the software....actually I find it horrible and not accurate at all.

Last edited:

cerberus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
In Spyder3Print i did some adjustments in the proof settings, so this may explain why this strange black value. I did the profile again in ArgyllCMS, changing only to a matte photo paper, results are below in zip file, and black is strange yet. I will try using the "Little Argyll GUI" to compare results.

Attachments

• HP DJ T120 Mory Photo Matte 180g OEM.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually the black level is now normal to my eyes when compared to other matte papers. However: the purple/blue has the about the same blackness as your black point. Maybe you did print with the HP Premium Glossy paper setting on this matte paper, which omits the black ink when printing "black".

pkk

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Hello All and thanks, Pharmacist for posting this. You inspired me a few years ago to get an i1Pro and Argyllcms to make printer profiles, which I did successfully. But I just got it out to profile another printer and when I go to chartread ( I use LittleArgyllGUI) to read the target I get this message, "unknown, inappropriate, or no instrument detected." I remember when I first started I had to reload the argyll driver but I guess I don't remember how I did it. I've been in devise manager and found the driver there, rebooted holding the shift key, but it still doesn't work. I'm only suspecting the driver. It could be something else. I'm wondering if there are step by step instructions for each screen to install the driver correctly. Thanks again for your work on this forum.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did you try the manual version in a DOS mode: put your *.ti1, *.ti2, adobeRGB1998.icc files in the same directory and type the command: chartread -v -H -T0.4 "name of your *.ti1 file" ? In my case it would be: chartread -v -H -T0.4 875-target

Otherwise have a look at my ArgyllCM easy how to pdf file to install the driver properly.

Attachments

• ArgyllCMS easy how to.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 23