ArgyllCMS 875-patch printer profile with i1Pro 2

pkk

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Okay, I decided to go ahead and install the latest version of Argyll. I had been holding off because I didn't want to introduce another variable but I did a separate install of 3.2.0. I can't say for sure what changed in the driver install page but it installed perfectly. I just made my first profile in two years. I use 5 white, 6 black, 128 grey, and 924 total patches with a preconditioning profile. I heard somewhere when I first started making these that this would make good B&W prints. I do a lot of B&W. So do you think your 875 patch targets would have any advantage?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Okay, I decided to go ahead and install the latest version of Argyll. I had been holding off because I didn't want to introduce another variable but I did a separate install of 3.2.0. I can't say for sure what changed in the driver install page but it installed perfectly. I just made my first profile in two years. I use 5 white, 6 black, 128 grey, and 924 total patches with a preconditioning profile. I heard somewhere when I first started making these that this would make good B&W prints. I do a lot of B&W. So do you think your 875 patch targets would have any advantage?
Hello, not really. If you want really good profiles a preconditioning profile would be better, BUT: my method is good compromise to obtain optimal BW prints without the need of a preconditioning profile. Also if you want to make a profile for somebody else, it is not really convenient to have the other side (sending twice) print the target again. I also did emphasize the neutral axis with the N0.75 setting, so more samples are taken at that area, so the need of a preconditioning profile is much less, unless you have a very strange behaving ink that needs the preconditioning profile to estimate the ink behaviour better.

Last edited:

pkk

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks again for the quick reply. I will take a close look at your method and use it on some profiles. I have a backlog of papers that need profiling. Is there any way I can send you a few for you to look at?
I will be out of town until Thurs do I can't reply until then.

Graeme Gill

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R1800
Otherwise have a look at my ArgyllCM easy how to pdf file to install the driver properly.
Note that that is out of date. You just need to run ArgyllCMS_install_USB.exe that is located in the usb directory. No need to re-boot etc. See the instructions.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes that was my experience too. After installing Argyll 3.2.0 and the driver it did not need a reboot.
Hello, did already tried to make a profile with ArgyllCMS with your ES-2000? It should be superior to your Spyder3print.

pkk

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've successfully made one profile since I installed the latest version of Argyll. I used an Xrite i1 Pro and I will be making more over this weekend. I would like to send you a few to see what you think of them. How would I do that?

pkk

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay! And thanks again for taking a look at these.

Attachments

• Arg924_9880_Epson_PremSemimatte.zip
    2 MB · Views: 7

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The profiles look normal to me and as expected a deeper black for the semigloss paper than the semimatte paper, which makes sense to me. There is only a strange identation at the purple side: it looks either the printer can print more than better purples or it cannot print the magenta as good as it should be. Since both profiles has the same 3D structure (the semigloss having a larger gamut than the semimatte) with the same curves and indentation I think the reading is done correctly. The gamut range is very good. Do you use aftermarket inks in the Pro 9880 ? The Arg924 name suggests you are using my 924-patch target: right ?