An update on the chip / Printer control

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
My recall of these discussions years ago were that the cartridges were eventually marked as empty. If this is the case, and I believe it is, The Hat will experience it sooner or later.
Yep... although Canon may have decided on something a little more dramatic, so he may end up with a melted ball of plastic as the nozzles go in to self destruct mode ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I can see the printer stopping myself sooner rather than later but until then the situation is that no harm can come to the print head as long as theres ink left in the cartridge. (1) I think what will happen is the low ink notice will appear first, if I forget to top up the cartridge, filling the cartridge at this point wont help. (2) Then very quickly the printer will register ink out regardless of the amount of ink left in the cartridge and stop. (Game over) :(
to be continued.....

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman said:
jackson said:
stratman said:
If your findings are a constant, then the top hole refill method for the new opaque cartridges while in the print head would be an easy workaround for this type of cartridge which also has no resetter yet.
I put the 'filling in situ' proposal in this link.
It was shot down as being too messy.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1388
Yes, there is increased risk of making a mess, especially with shakey hands or taking too long to finish and the printhead parks itself in mid refill. But it is do-able.
Pulling the power would prevent the print head from parking and shaky hands aside, 'fotofreek' said that the ink would flow out of the exit hole if the cart was opened.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jackson said:
'fotofreek' said that the ink would flow out of the exit hole if the cart was opened.
That would be disturbing. :mad:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
to be continued.....
Well the end is at hand. :(
Turned on the printer today and up pop the (low ink warning), I printed off only fifteen sheets and the printer stopped (ink out).
I had got through 2 and half cartridges worth of ink before the end.
Now I will start this experiment again this time with the magenta and see how far it will get .. :)