Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a very long media list from which you can pick one - and even about 5 different film/foil type materials, the surface of those won't absorb the solvent of the ink so the overall ink load should be reduced , and this can be tested with these special media types if the standard settings are not o.k. The printer offers a myriad of additional options over a 'typical' desktop printer. It's an issue with the user interface, I think Canon should add a bonus ticket to the printer for a weekend at a nice hotel for a free training for all the options and features and how to handle all the error messages which can pop up in relation to functions you haven't defined before.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think Canon should add a bonus ticket to the printer for a weekend at a nice hotel for a free training for all the options and features and how to handle all the error messages which can pop up in relation to functions you haven't defined before.
Yes I would appreciate that very much, but this is Canon we’re talking about..:hugs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I tested a special paper setting Nr. 5 on the TC-20 Canon printer - with the highest ink density, created a profile and created as well a profile for a Canon smatt 170 paper which I can select in the printer via the front panel, I'm using a photostudio Winkler smatt paper for both profiles. The profiles are very similar overall except in the the region for darker blue/violett colors - there is a small improvement of the special paper 5 over the Canon smatt paper - it's just in the luminance range from L*=25 to 10, but not every image has even colors in this range. So the benefit is rather small for this special paper setting. It may be more helpful at the other side of the ink density range - with foil and screen films etc - which can't take so much ink

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a hard limit for papers which the TC-20 can handle - the thickness should not exceed 0,3 mm which excludes a range of specialty - FineArt - cotton based etc papers , and the printer does not support rolls with a core diameter of 3 inch which is quite typical for these specialty papers. The TC-20 is not targetted as a photoprinter by Canon , and it's the same at Epson - the T2100, 3100 etc have about the same limitations and are not targetted as a photoprinter as well - you cannot find the word 'photo' at all in the product and marketing descriptions. It's printers with an ink set of 4 inks - CMYK - the TC-20 prints very well with these 4 inks - the gamut is in line with other 4 color printers but it does not/cannot reach the gamut of the dedicated 8 or 10 ink photoprinters if you want to get the most out of a printer. It's the pricing for these printers which make them attractive - in the 750€ - 1000€ range - or higher with some options - e.g. a stand , the TC-20M comes with an A4 scanner - the T3100M even with a 24 inch scanner - and other models like the T5100 even print wider up to 36" still at entry level pricing.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was trying to print an Epson T3100 setup guide on my current Canon TC-20 via the sheet feeder; it didn't print very well - I had to make a head cleaning at page 4 and 25 to get a clean printout. I don't know whether a Canon printer does not like to print Epson documents .........?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I returned the Canon TC-20 printer last week using the return right for online purchases, the EU min period are 2 weeks, this distributor offers a general 4 week return right. I have to accept a charge for usage if my usage of the printer goes beyond pure testing actions which I settled with the dealer.
The printer prints very good overall as a 4 color printer, there is nothing I can critique in this respect; the display is small , stays vertical and cannot be moved which is an ongoing nuisance for me since it is not possible to view any of the display notices via the computer alternatively. Access to more than very basic settings requires a full network setup incl. admin passord, root certificate etc via (W)LAN, access to advanced settings is not possible via USB. There are other limitations of the TC-20 vs. a regular 8 or 10 color large format printer - paper rolls can only have a 2 inch core, and the outer roll diameter cannot exceed 11 cm which excludes a range of FineArt and other specialty papers thicker than 0.3 mm.

The Epson T2100 is pretty much a direct competitor - with 4 inks as well - in cartridges, with very similar specifications and limitations as I can see it at this time. I ordered as well refill cartridges and one-time chips which are needed for this model. I didn't order the T3100X - the Ecotank version, the pricing is hiked up too much vs. the base model.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
the display is small , stays vertical and cannot be moved which is an ongoing nuisance for me since it is not possible to view none of the display notices via the computer alternatively. Access to more than very basic settings requires a full network setup incl. admin passord, root certificate etc via (W)LAN, access to advanced settings is not possible via USB. There are other limitations of the TC-20 vs. a regular 8 or 10 color large format printer - paper rolls can only have a 2 inch core, and the outer roll diameter cannot exceed 11 cm which excludes a range of FineArt and other specialty papers thicker than 0.3 mm.
With what you reported with that useless printer, I can’t blame you for returning it..

Funny thing dough, it sounded very like an Epson, see how wrong I could be..:ep

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
Would the Canon TM-240 an alternative ? the CISS cartridges seem to be refillable (ink levels should be disabled) and has photo black too (+ matte black). I am thinking about an A1 with rotary cutter that is able to cut canvas rolls too (so the cutter must be strong enough to deal with this type of material).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
(so the cutter must be strong enough to deal with this type of material).
I would assume that the printer would cut such paper but with the effect that the blade wears out earlier. I have seen that on my old P7600 , but that was not too much of a problem since blades were available via Aliexpress.

I'm currently in contact with a local Epson supplier - a dealer which mainly sells office equipment, copiers and the upper end Epson copiers/printer for office use. I would get a pretty good price there, and I have a local contact in case of problems

One of the problems I had with the TC20 was a practical thing - I placed the printer on a board with wheels underneath so I could move it away, under a desk etc when not used, but this mode makes it impossible to read the display at the front from the top, the display on the Epson T2100 is much larger , mounted on the top of the case and can be tilted.

Last edited: