A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
I had a problem with the CAP480 chart,

With the ES-2000 (aka i1Publish Pro 2), the chart is too big to scan...

It seems that the spectro needs to start on a white part of the paper, but when using the ruler from the ES-2000 it is not possible to start on a white section of the paper while also being able to get to the last patch

• I was able to get it to work by resizing longer edge of the image to 90% of the original value, but is there a better way of doing this?
  • Profile and log attached, I loaded the profile into GamutVision but I do not know what to look for to figure out if it was done correctly
  • The plan is to wait a week before re-making the profile, what is a good way to store the print in the meantime? I just put it under a stack of other prints...
Edit: profile has to be renamed, I had to rename to txt to get it uploaded

Try this 924 patch target optimized for the i1Pro2 (ES-2000).

Attachments

• ArgyllCMS_924-patch_target_for_i1Pro2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 58

Loomray

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET8550
I picked up a used(like new) i1PRO2 ,it will replace my old i1pro rev.D(EFI ES100 UV-CUT)
I´ve made some icc-profiles with ArgyllCMS.When i compere the same paper profile made with the i1PRO2 vs i1pro1(UV CUT)-
The whitepoint is shiftet towards blue .Is this the effect of Fluorescent Whitener Additive, or Optical Brightening Agents in the paper(SIHIL 280g) ,and the UV CUT Spectro make it neutral.
I made also a ICC-profile of an ILFORD Studio Pearl 260gsm paper with i1Profiler in dual-scan mode M1 D50,
and this has the same(litle more) blue shift.
You can see it in the 3d graph .The solid one is made with the i1Pro2 ,and the wireframe ist old UV-Cut i1pro.
iccprofilshift.JPG

Is this normal ? Do you have the same whitpoint peak offset the L axis?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
I picked up a used(like new) i1PRO2 ,it will replace my old i1pro rev.D(EFI ES100 UV-CUT)
I´ve made some icc-profiles with ArgyllCMS.When i compere the same paper profile made with the i1PRO2 vs i1pro1(UV CUT)-
The whitepoint is shiftet towards blue .Is this the effect of Fluorescent Whitener Additive, or Optical Brightening Agents in the paper(SIHIL 280g) ,and the UV CUT Spectro make it neutral.
I made also a ICC-profile of an ILFORD Studio Pearl 260gsm paper with i1Profiler in dual-scan mode M1 D50,
and this has the same(litle more) blue shift.
You can see it in the 3d graph .The solid one is made with the i1Pro2 ,and the wireframe ist old UV-Cut i1pro.View attachment 16338
Is this normal ? Do you have the same whitpoint peak offset the L axis?
Yes I did have that off set too: towards blue. To really correct his you will need the OBC (Optical Brightness Compensation) profiling setting in iProfiler (you will need that special test chart with grey/black patches), but I am not sure because I do not have that special test target.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You can find the actcual whitepoint value in your Chromix software via the profile inspector - Tag Table - wtpt which displays the whitepoint value in various colorspaces incl. Lab.

The optical brightener is an add-on to the paper coating, and you need to include some points into your considerations
- do the typical viewing conditions for your prints contain any particular amount of UV in the ambient spectrum ?
This could be outside viewing light - with no glass in between - or older office lighting installations with neon tubes w/o sufficient UV filtering or room halogen light w/o UV filtering or ????
- But if you profile for outside daylight - with UV contents - you would need to change the standard viewing light spec from D50 to D65 as well.

- What it comes to is the problem that you try to profile your paper for different viewing light conditions at the same time - UV present or not - this ends up in a compromise .

- And be aware that the optical brighteners do the same as the regular inks - they fade - slowly - and are not effective anymore after some longer time. There is only one way to get out of that dilemma - using papers w/o optical brighteners. I'm only aware of one 'standard' paper - not special FineArt etc type papers - the HP Premium Plus Photo Paper does not contain any significant OBC amount.
You cannot do this - printing a test image with a M2 profile and one with an M1 profile, and then holding prints side by side for comparison - you are missing the UV light contents in the viewing light for the M1 print.