What is more cost effective? Compare using an inkjet printer with comp

leejenkins

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Inkjet printers have problems with printer heads becoming clogged if not used at least every few days. They use lots of ink, most of it wasted on start up and head cleaning. Laser printers do not have those problems. Turn it on after 6 months and it prints. I'm only guessing but toner is a lot cheaper than liquid ink. I use both, inkjet is a All in One [fax, copy, scan and print]. Laser is a Samsung CPL-300 was on sale $124 and I just love a bargain.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Bulk costs of pigment black ink, which is laser printers equivalent, and toner are about the same. Color is much cheaper for inkjet. And when you consider you can only refill a laser toner cartridge a few times before the drum wears out and you need a new one and the printer tends to cost more I'd say costs are about even. And as for clogging, we recommend printing every few days mostly to prevent unnecessary cleaning cycles which will fill up the waste ink pads too quickly. A good refill ink shouldn't clog nozzles in a few days. It's cheaper pigment inks that you truly have to watch out for.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Based on the projected number of pages that the color laser cartridges can print (1000) and their price ($60), it appears that the cost per color photo would be at least 18 cents per page. This is probably comparable to the cost of printing with an inkjet if you buy OEM cartridges. The only thing that makes inkjets cheap is refilling which divides that cost by a factor of ten. I'm not sure but refilling laser cartridges divides the cost by a lot less, maybe two or three.

alexh1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a high end, used monotone Laser some time ago and had to replace the fuser shortly afterward. Cost me $300. I understand it's considered a maintenence item.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That's the hidden cost with laser printers. Their maintenance items are pricey. Even on a canon if you consider the print head a maintenance item it is still cheap to replace every few thousand pages compared to replacing drums and fusers.