Tell me about the Maxify printers

GrantCee

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4300, Pro-1000
Coming here from asking a question in the Epson forum…

It’s time to say goodbye to my beloved Canon iP4300 printer. The head has severe cross-color contamination issues, and it’s gotten to the point that the output, even in plain black, just doesn’t look good any longer. I do like the printer, and so I’ve been scouring local second hand stores for another (or one of the other Canon models that use the same cartridges), but to no avail.

So now I’m looking for another printer, one that can run as economically as the 4300, either with bulk tanks Epson EcoTank), or refillable cartridges.

I’d assumed that Canon had pretty much killed off refillable carts, but The Hat showed up on the Epson forum to warn me of catastrophe should I buy an Epson — and to tell me about the Maxify printers, whose large carts can apparently be refilled. Since I know nothing about the Maxify line, I’m starting from scratch and have lots of questions.

I did do a little research, and it looks like changing carts is a pain (turn the printer on, do something, disconnect the power to the printer, then turn a little gear until it sounds like something is breaking…really??). Also, there seems to be a variety of Maxify cartridges — are they all refillable? Are ARC’s necessary for any? Finally, are the printers/carts here in the U.S. any different than in Europe?

(Note: I’m comfortable disabling ink monitoring, which I’ve long since done on my Pro-1000, so that’s not an issue.)

Educate me on the wonders of the Maxify line!