Slightly different Canon Maxify B504 error problem

mr moose

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB2350
Hi Folks,
This is my first time on the forum and am hoping you can solve my problem.
I stupidly left a compatible (internet ink) magenta ink cartridge in my Canon Maxify MB2350 printer empty for about two months as I was just printing occasionally in black and white. I then needed to use colour so changed the ink cartridge for a new compatible one and immediately got a B504 error. I then changed the same cartridge for a Canon one and still got the same error.
I have looked online and seems like the main solution is to go through all the cartridges changing each one but that seems unlikely as it seems to be the magenta cartridge slot that is the problem.
I have tried the usual unplugging the cable and restarting, but have not tried the hard reset because I fear that I may get a cannon update on the printer which would stop me using compatible cartridges.
Could it be that it is the jet for the printer is blocked?
I don't see the point of changing all the other cartridges but will do if people think that's the best solution?
Any suggestion will be great thanks.

Last edited:

mr moose

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB2350
Hi Folks,
This is my first time on the forum and am hoping you can solve my problem.
I stupidly left a compatible (internet ink) magenta ink cartridge in my Canon Maxify MB2350 printer empty for about two months as I was just printing occasionally in black and white. I then needed to use colour so changed the ink cartridge for a new compatible one and immediately got a B504 error. I then changed the same cartridge for a Canon one and still got the same error.
I have looked online and seems like the main solution is to go through all the cartridges changing each one but that seems unlikely as it seems to be the magenta cartridge slot that is the problem.
I have tried the usual unplugging the cable and restarting, but have not tried the hard reset because I fear that I may get a cannon update on the printer which would stop me using compatible cartridges.
Could it be that it is the jet for the printer is blocked?
I don't see the point of changing all the other cartridges but will do if people think that's the best solution?
Any suggestion will be great thanks.
Can anyone advise on this?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can anyone advise on this?
There’s no need to change all the carts for this type of error, just as long as they are all OEM carts.

Remove all the carts one by one, then power on the printer and reinstall each cart and the error will disappear, remember don’t use compatible carts till the error is cleared..

It’s not a very good idea to run the printer with an empty cart..

mr moose

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB2350
There’s no need to change all the carts for this type of error, just as long as they are all OEM carts.

Remove all the carts one by one, then power on the printer and reinstall each cart and the error will disappear, remember don’t use compatible carts till the error is cleared..

It’s not a very good idea to run the printer with an empty cart..
Hi Hat, Many thanks for the response. Yes I realise that now about the empty cart, particularly as the printer gets a lot of full sun.:rolleyes:
The Maxify MB2350 instructions state that any used cartridge removed should not be reinserted? Also as mentioned this happened immediately after I replaced the magenta and I did then take it out and replace it with a new OEM. I was thinking I may have to replace all the cartridges so I ordered a new set but these are all compatibles should I order another set of OEM's as they are all compatibles in the machine apart from the Magenta?:\

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
should I order another set of OEM's as they are all compatibles in the machine apart from the Magenta?:\
No, if you’re lucky and have kept some of your old empty OEM carts, they can be put in just long enough to make the printer reset, the printer only wants to see the OEM chip.. But don’t try to print with them..

Once the error message has cleared then proceed to insert the compatibles, but the printer will take a long time to reset, then print a nozzle check first..

mr moose

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB2350
OK Hat, I did what you said and put in a full set of empty OEM'S switched on the printer and it seemed to reset. It then said that the Cyan cartridge was empty (obviously) so I then replaced that and rather than waiting for it to tell me the same about the others I replaced all the others back to the half used compatibles also and switched it on. I then got the error message again!:rolleyes:
I then thought maybe I should have waited for it to ask me to replace the empty carts individually so went back to the empty OEM's and started again this time it asked me for the Cyan which I replaced with the compatible again (a brand new one) and I got the error message straight away! I then tried numerous times (while getting ink everywhere!) and as soon as I put the compatibles in I got the error message!
So I then bit the bullet and put a new set of OEM's and it all works fine now!
Why would it suddenly stop accepting compatibles? I haven't updated anything on the Pc or printer.
Am I doomed to spend twice as much money on OEM's or is it possible to swap the chips over or something in the future?

mr moose

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB2350
Give it a week or so, and then change just one of the carts out and see if that is acceptable…
Thanks for all your help, though there is no way I am touching it until a cartridge runs out!:frow