Salvaging long unused Pixma Pro 100

zeboma

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8559
Reviving unused Pro 100
Do I have any hope of reviving a once-fine Pixma Pro 100 that hasn't run in over 2 years? I'd even consider putting in whole new apparatuses (printhead etc) if that's an option.....or would it make more sense to get a new machine (considering Pro 300 or 1000
Thanks much

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
What are you missing of your dye ET-8550 vs,. the Pro100 ? Or do you plan to switch over to pigment ink printers - Pro 300 or Pro 1100 ?

zeboma

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8559
What are you missing of your dye ET-8550 vs,. the Pro100 ? Or do you plan to switch over to pigment ink printers - Pro 300 or Pro 1100 ?
I'm a relative newbie to printing--didn't do a whole bunch when the Pro 100 was functional. I'm just looking for large-format capable, and as problem-free as possible! I don't have any preference--unless there's something you would advise about--as to dye vs pigment
Thank you

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are too many questions open to give you a decent recommendation -
What are you planning to print - and for whom ?
What format are you looking for ?
What quality - what type of papers are you planning to use - glossy or matte
what is your expected print volume ?
Hazzle free - Are you looking for a cartridge type printer or a tank system model ?
Or refill ?

I currently can mention to you the Canon Pro 300 or 1100 as 12 or 17 " models - or
Epson P700 or P900 as 12" or 17" units - or if you look for the upper quality/feature end
for roll paper with the Epson SC-P5300 - 17" or the Canon TC-20 - and entry level 24" model or
the comparable Epson SC-P2100 or P3100 - all pigment ink units, and there are more.
I don't mention pricing at this point - you need to become clear what you are looking for -
the must have's like the format - the decision between dye or pigment - your pricing limit - and some
nice to have options

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Do I have any hope of reviving a once-fine Pixma Pro 100 that hasn't run in over 2 years?
To revive your Pro 100 after its long sleep, there are just a few things you need to do..

Firstly make sure you have sufficient inks in all your OEM carts, don’t use compatibles or 3rd party inks..

Then switch on and run just one cleaning cycle, followed by a nozzle check..

That will tell you the condition of the print head, if it’s still not printing properly..

Then run another cleaning cycle but this time a deep cleaning cycle, follow up with an nozzle check, this should give you an almost perfect print..

If the print head has not been previously damaged, the printer should be ready to function as normal.. Good luck..

zeboma

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8559
There are too many questions open to give you a decent recommendation -
What are you planning to print - and for whom ?
What format are you looking for ?
What quality - what type of papers are you planning to use - glossy or matte
what is your expected print volume ?
Hazzle free - Are you looking for a cartridge type printer or a tank system model ?
Or refill ?

I currently can mention to you the Canon Pro 300 or 1100 as 12 or 17 " models - or
Epson P700 or P900 as 12" or 17" units - or if you look for the upper quality/feature end
for roll paper with the Epson SC-P5300 - 17" or the Canon TC-20 - and entry level 24" model or
the comparable Epson SC-P2100 or P3100 - all pigment ink units, and there are more.
I don't mention pricing at this point - you need to become clear what you are looking for -
the must have's like the format - the decision between dye or pigment - your pricing limit - and some
nice to have options
Hi ISF,
Thanks so much for taking the time. I saw that Jose Rodriguez likes the ET 8550, and I really like the idea of tanks rather than cartridges
I'm retired semi semi pro, used to do weddings for friends, now just family portraits and yearbook shots etc for really really good friends only. Mostly landscape, however
--i like matte best, or lustre--never ever glossy
--fair amount of black and white
--while i love spiinning off multiple impulsive 5x7s for friends, I'd like to move more into large format 13x19 (or larger) for the best of my landscapes
--I'd probably be considered (anticipated) moderate volume only. When I did have a good HP years ago, and the Pro 100, I'd have to remember to print something regularly, just to prevent clogs. I'm sure, with my new camera (Nikon Z6iii) I'm sure I'll be printing A LOT more
--I became a big fan of QImage when I was last active, years ago, and reckon I'll add some refresher time to my long list of things I need refreshing on!

I notice you not mentioning the 8550....any reason? I would like to steer away from Canon (cartridge cost) if possible, tho I do see with a rebate right now, the Canon 1000 can be had for $800, and the Pro 300 for $750

thanks again
Mark

zeboma

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8559
To revive your Pro 100 after its long sleep, there are just a few things you need to do..

Firstly make sure you have sufficient inks in all your OEM carts, don’t use compatibles or 3rd party inks..

Then switch on and run just one cleaning cycle, followed by a nozzle check..

That will tell you the condition of the print head, if it’s still not printing properly..

Then run another cleaning cycle but this time a deep cleaning cycle, follow up with an nozzle check, this should give you an almost perfect print..

If the print head has not been previously damaged, the printer should be ready to function as normal.. Good luck..
Thanks much, shall investigate. I do believe I had switched to using refillable 3rd party cartridges, don't know if I have the OEM. If not, would you say none of the above applies, i.e. is not that salvageable?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, there are more printers on the market - like the ET-8550 or the Epson P5300 at the upper end of 17" printers,

https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/category/articles-and-reviews/printer-reviews/

You may have a look to very detailed printer reviews here - covering a wide range of models - from low cost like the Canon 24" TC-20 costing not more than a 12" Canon or Epson up to the P5300 or the ET-8550 - or the ET-18100.
You need to decide as well if you go for a roll paper printer, or use sheet paper, it'a matter of the overall print volume, and as well a question how wide you'll spread you choice of papers. Printer like the TC-20 or the Epson T3100 would offer both - roll paper and sheet paper up to A3 , so there are plenty of options.
I think you should get a good view of the printers currently on the market , and how they would match your requirements