I have spares but always refill the ones I am using. I use two printers side by side but tend to wait till both have finished then check them all and refill as necessary. This takes 5 minutes and they are then back in.
I use the refill from top of ink reservoir method, drill hole in top of tank, syringe ink in to refill (you need to put other hand in a plastic bag or disposable glove and hold the cartridge and hold finger over the outlet hole whilst you do this). Then plug the hole with rubber plugs. I never allow to run dry. This ensures the ink from the reservoir is always topped up, as I regularly check and don't rely on any indicated levels (I actually find it easier to disable the ink levels by letting the chip say it is empty (having already refilled) then accept the override warnings. That then means no ink levels show but it never nags you to reset the chips and you don't need a chip resetter. I have an ip4600 I have done this on and an ip4500 I reset the chips.... but to be honest as I check them after a defined number of passes (and experience has taught me what I can safely print without them running less than 25% full) and as I ignore the stated levels on the ink monitor from the chip, I personally don't value chip resetters. I also don't see why so many people refill through the sponge. I don't see how this is easier than my method which just constantly tops up the reservoir which feeds the sponge.
If you buy a generic refill kit from Tesco or Asda etc (I am in UK too) that gives you the plugs and the handy hand drill. Buy refill ink (Canon specific) from
www.Phoenixdirectuk.co.uk, don't use the ink from the refill kit or be tempted to buy general ink from anywhere. You need to buy Canon pigmented black for the 520 cartridge and Canon dye black for the 521 black cartridge.