question about Canon's new cartridges.....

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Im curious about these new "secret weapon" cartridges that Canon is selling, the PGI 225 and CLI 226.....

Will these cartridges completely replace the PGI 220 and CLI 221 that are used in printers such as the MP560?

Can these cartridges even be used in an MP560? My concern here is that at some point in time I will no longer be able to buy OEM pgi 220 and cli 221 carts....

I recently purchased an MP560 for my parents (my brother also has one) along with another full set of OEM cartridges to go with the set that came with the printer. My brother has been using ink from Precision Colors for refills and I will be buying the refill kits for my parents printer as well.

I'm worried that if I needed to buy another set of OEM's for refilling that they will no longer be available and I will end up being sent the 225 and 226 cartridges.

Or, are these new carts only compatible with Canon's new printers and you will still be able to get the PGI 220 and CLI 221 just as you can still get the PGI 5 and CLI 8 and BCI 6 cartridges?

I'm just wondering if I should order another set of 220's and 221's just in case.....

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe you have any reason to worry about availability. I just checked the Canon website and found that ink carts for my s900 are still available. I'm not sure but I believe that printer
is about 8 - 9 years old by now. Even if Canon would discontinue the cartriges I'm sure that most 3rd party manufacturers would continue to supply them. Canon carts are best but if you no longer can find them the 3rd party manufacturers are always an alternative.

I'm not sure but I believe that PGI225/CLI226 carts and PGI220/CLI221 carts are not interchangable. Mainly do to the chip on each cartrige. I think that if you have 2 sets of carts and rotate them, they should last as long or longer than the printer itself.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mowerman90

That debate is still ongoing whether the PGI225/CLI226 cartridges and PGI220/CLI221 cartridges are interchangeable or not.
Websnail is to come back on that subject in the near future, hopefully soon.
It would make refilling the ip4820s far easier if that is the case, with only a change of the chip needed. :).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
That debate is still ongoing whether the PGI225/CLI226 cartridges and PGI220/CLI221 cartridges are interchangeable or not.
Websnail is to come back on that subject in the near future, hopefully soon.
Job for today I hope although not helped by yet more teething, 3am screeching child acting as alarm clock and a stinking cold...

The things I do for you guys *sniff*

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I was interested in finding out the capacity of the new CLI-226 cartidges that are used in the Canon iP4820 printer. My baseline is my only printer, a Canon Pro-9000-2 that uses eight CLI-8 carts of equal capacity. On the outside of the Red and Green carts I recently purchased at Office Depot, it indicates 13ml. I did find a webpage that indicated a capacity of 13.6ml for CLI-8 carts. That wasn't difficult to find.

I spent some time looking around for a specific, direct capacity for the CLI-226, but never did find one. Indirectly, I did find a bulk ink supplier with breakdowns by cart for how many refills could be done from 4 oz.

* ml per ounce: 29.5735296875 rounded off to 30

* 33 refills of CLI-225 color cart per 4 oz bottle

* 16-17 refills of CLI-8 color cart per 4 oz bottle

Doing the math, 4 oz is ~120ml, so

* refilling a CLI-8 cart requires (120 / 16.5) = 7.3 ml per refill. That doesn't agree at all with the box value of 13ml.

* refilling a CLI-225 cart requires (120 / 33) = 3.6 ml per refill, or half that of the CLI-8.

I'm not at all satisfied with the accuracy of the above. It would have been nice if the ml per refill of the CLI-8 had come out closer to 13 ml. Perhaps the 7.3 ml I derived is the reservoir, and the 13 ml value is the reservoir plus saturated sponge area.

Or I did the math wrong, or the numbers from the website are inflated and/or wrong.

My speculation is that the capacity of the CLI-225 is half that of the CLI-8. IIRC, that is consistent with some rumors / speculation / anecdotal info. Bummer.

IIRC, when I refilled my first (and only) batch of CLI-8 carts using a 20ml syringe, a cart that the printer reported as "Empty" took about 13ml. However, my memory of that messy undertaking is kind of a blur.

Anyone got specifics?

I've sent emails Canon and to several ink / cart vendors to inquire. Seems like they ought to have specific numbers.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
You are close enough, over the last decade when refilling a cli8 or bci6 with 'no' ink in the refill chamber I find 8-10 ml does it.
With the new 'black hole' carts, a weight scale and and 'top' filling can take over. We still do not want to over saturate the foam, so blindly waiting for overflow is not a good choice. I suggest we estimate the weight of a cart that is refilled to the acceptable 'max' level and use that as reference. Add ink until the ref weight is reached.
OR:
When a black cart, new or old is ready for refill, a simple wood toothpick can be inserted to gauge the ink chamber level. If the level is down to the bottom, then 8-10ml, if 1/2 way then 4-5ml..if......

I was hoping to advance my plastic optical refracting rod technique mentioned in previous posts but I can't beat a toothpick for cost and elegance.
Given Lemons (by the mfgrs) make Lemonade--better to enjoy the sweetness that get stuck with the sour!!

irv weiner "don't forget to microwave your dye ink and ultrasonic your pigment ink"

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!

I was concerned that the existing supply of the PGI 220 and CLI 221 cartridges would eventually cease to exist and then they would all be replaced with the 225 and 226 cartridges.
But it makes sense that they will still continue to be available due to the fact that the chips on them are designed to be used with the printers that they came with such as the MP560.

Similar to the pgi 5 and cli 8 and bci 6 cartridges, those are still made and available for the various printers that were designed to use them.

Thanks again for the info! I look forward to finding out what websnail discovers!!

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
I was interested in finding out the capacity of the new CLI-226 cartidges that are used in the Canon iP4820 printer.

I've sent emails Canon and to several ink / cart vendors to inquire. Seems like they ought to have specific numbers.
I heard back from Canon (and an ink vendor ... thanks Mike).

The PGI-225 ink tank has 19ml of ink while the CLI-226 ink tanks have
9ml of ink. The CLI-8 ink tanks have 13ml of ink (for your Pro 9000
Mark II).
Note that different inks in different carts may have different .... drum roll ... densities. This makes it somewhat "apples and oranges" as far as cost per abc when comparing a printer like the 9000-2 with CLI-8's and the iP4820 with CLI-225's and CLI-226.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Try looking up ISO tests that printer manufacturers supply in Japan. These will reveal the true capability of the printer cartridge with similar images/documents.
Density is an issue especially when we deal with 1 pl droplets.

Unfortunately I can't read Japanese. Europe may have similar standards.

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is the link for empty CLI226 catridges without chip. The resetter is available if you buy from this link under refill kit tab.
google inksupply with pixma Mg5220