Print pure CYMK colors, not mixed

Herb

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5350
When printing black text, for example, the printer doesn't just use the color from the black (K) cartridge. Instead, it creates a mix using other cartridges too. This is apparently intended behavior, not a bug.

Is there a way to make the printer print only pure CYMK colors from the respective cartridges/nozzles? I can do that with the nozzle check, but I would prefer to do it by printing my own document, like a PDF.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Instead, it creates a mix using other cartridges too.
How do you know ? Be aware that this may even change with different driver settings - e.g. borderless - photo paper etc, the Canon paper black has a pretty warm tone, it could be that the driver adds cyan to change the look of the paper black ink to a neutral tone, which creates a more contrasty look.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hi @Herb, I suspect that that is more likely driven by the software you use. If it sends no black signals, then the printer won't use black. It doesn't know that you are trying to simulate black.

There are two ways to achieve this, either at the printer or at the software. Look for settings such as "Print B&W, yes/no", or "Simulate Black, yes/no".

I have B&W setting for both of my printers. However, then I get only Black/Grey shades, no colors. Then I get nice grays and black from both printers. Otherwise it would be sort of a lazy ugly dark brown, especially on my Brothers laser printer, my Pro-100 does a black but with a dark red hue.

In my desktop software is use, MS Publisher, I have a setting that allows me to designate if it should simulate black or not. Well I thought I had, but I just checked, and I can't for the life of me find the setting in the 2017 version. I know I did at least up to 2013.

Surprisingly both printers do a fairly good job with photos. That is a Canon Pro-100, and a Brothers L-8900 laser. Good photo paper gives much better results, but photos on even plain paper are not too bad. But don't expect equal effects, each printer and each paper manufacture have their own nuances.

Theoretically the proper mix of color should produce black, and/or for that matter a white. But in practice even our high tech equipment doesn't do a perfect job. That's why there are all the various cartridges of colors and different shades, including, for example in my Pro-100, BK, GY, LGY, black, grey, light-grey. Every new generation printer seems to have a new mix, so "they" are still working on it ^_^.

Yeah, I go with that, rather than the conspiracy that they are trying to put chinks into our refilling efforts ^_^.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there a way to make the printer print only pure CYMK colors from the respective cartridges/nozzles?
Your printer is set by its own firmware as to how it can utilise each colour when printing. Even in B&W mode it will still use some colours, if it doesn’t use the colours then the head will clog up.. It’s a multi-colour printer !, that’s the nature of the beast..

If you print a pure black text document in Word, the printer will respond to Word by using only the black ink.. ! as to why that happens, who knows.. (There’s a huge explanation on that)..

BUT exactly the same document using any other software, including PDF’s, it will use all the colours, the printer has no control over the colours used, the software you choose has total control, and there are few exceptions to that rule.. On photo paper it won’t use black if its pigment..

The only way to achieve an all-black document is to replace the colour carts with another set of carts filled with only black ink.. Failing that, there is always a mono laser, that will do the job much better..