Pixma MX870 stops “service needed”

GregR

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/ Pixma Mx870
I think the ink pads are full since it was warning me repeatedly which I bypassed since I’m building a house and using the printer for the plans with construction underway.

Seems like I beed a service manual and instructions to reset the ink pad discharge counter. Or a new printer. Epson or Canon or HP for least troubles and 3rd party ink or toner.??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You find a service manual for the printer here. See page 46/63 and on for service mode operations.

For service mode operations a service tool version 1.072 or newer (higher version number) is needed. You find a version 3.400 attached to this post. I recommend this version as it works with all Windows versions from XP and on and both 32 and 64 bit versions of the OS.

Here is a post with instructions for the reset using V3.400 service tool. The procedure is the same for your printer.

Resetting a counter doesn't make the ink in the absorbers go away, so they should be replaced or cleaned and dried before reinstall. Some say you can reset the absorber counter just once without replacing or cleaning the absorbers. others say that you risk a nasty ink spill if the absorbers overflow. It might be a good idea to place a tray under the printer to catch a possible leakage.

Last edited:

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
PeterBJ is our resident service tool expert, he helped me w my MX870. make sure to follow the directions, seem to remember it must be USB connected not WIFI

the MX870 is now 14 years old, still working great. i even have an older MX700, that is 17 years old, also going strong, it uses the older PGI5/CLI8 ink carts, clear on both sides, larger and easy to refill

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX700(2007), MP980(2008), MX870(2010), PRO-100(2013)
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
• Past Printers: MP830
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors, then OCP, now ASPEN
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, service tools only work with USB, WIFI cannot be used even if the printer might have this capability. It is also important that no other printers are connected to the computer when doing service mode operations.