Pigment in dye head.

Thanks ISF, good info on the Epsons. Still hoping a thermal head HP (or Canon) experimenter to chip in.
 
Still hoping a thermal head HP (or Canon) experimenter to chip in.
I’m sorry but, what part of no, it won’t work do you not understand, it not an experiment, more like an execution...?

Why don’t you try it for yourself, then you’d have first-hand experience...?
 
Not quite the answer we were looking for. We'll end the conversation now.
 
I took the suggestion of trying it for myself using a Chinese site which supplies re-filled carts for HP T120 printers. They say the carts are filled with pigment ink and they also sell print head assemblies for about US$100. Seemed worth the chance.
The machine printed out as easily as it did with dye inks, but was the new ink really pigment? After almost six months of exposure to Australian summer sun, there was very little fade.
My conclusion is that they have used pigment and it really works, or they have an excellent fade resistant dye ink. Either way I have the longevity I was seeking.
 
Further info: I put a dye yellow cartridge in the printer and left the cyan and magenta and black "pigment" ones in.
Using plain paper I printed test image and let the paper and inks dry. Then when immersing the paper in water only the yellow leached out, the others couldn't even be rubbed off.
My conclusion is that the inks I found are pigment, they work very well in an HP120 that normally uses dye ink for colors.
 
O.k.- that's working so far and is probably interesting for some other people as well looking for an alternative to the dye inks. A question remains how the pigment inks, the printer performs after prolonged use - it could be that the printhead cleaning unit gets clogged with the pigments or some other part is not made for use with pigment inks.
 
I'm familiar with various ink technologies and the printer head systems. What I'm really looking for is someone whose tried what I'm looking at and either had success or failure.
With the HP T120 the cost of failure is slight since a new print head costs just over US $200. What intrigues me is that the head already handles black pigment ink in one of the channels - dye color in the other three.

Is the print head encrypted? If it is you may need to buy an unencrypted one - for myself, it would be expensive to buy an unencrypted print head - at least $1000US which is ludicrous! I hope mine lasts me many years and plan on treating it like a princess and buying a dust cover for it (this house seems to be very dusty compared to other places I've lived)

Edit: Before buying another one DO try unclogging it of course! :)
 
Is the print head encrypted? If it is you may need to buy an unencrypted one - for myself, it would be expensive to buy an unencrypted print head - at least $1000US which is ludicrous!
Encrypted print head? Not heard that terminology before. Do you have a link to an unencrypted print head?
 
Further info: I put a dye yellow cartridge in the printer and left the cyan and magenta and black "pigment" ones in.
Using plain paper I printed test image and let the paper and inks dry. Then when immersing the paper in water only the yellow leached out, the others couldn't even be rubbed off.
My conclusion is that the inks I found are pigment, they work very well in an HP120 that normally uses dye ink for colors.

Well it's January 2019 now, has it clogged up the print head yet? :) *g*
 
Back
Top