Now that old Windex unavailable, what common chemicals should be used for nozzle/head clean?

Hogwild

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Is this done with the printer head intact, and inside the printer, or after removing the print head from the printer?

Hogwild

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Windex was more harmful than you think, why do you reckon they removed the ammonia..
Harmful to what? The environment? Counters? Windows? I'm guessing you didn't mean printer heads/nozzles.

Last edited:

Hogwild

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Huh? You're saying Windex took that formula off the market cause it might damage print heads? I'm fairly sure Windex's parent co. doesn't give a rat's posterior about anyone's print heads.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm fairly sure Windex's parent co. doesn't give a rat's posterior about anyone's print heads.
I whole heartily agree, but you have to look at the big picture, as they have done, it must have been affecting a lot of other things too other than metal.. why else remove it. !

I use W5 window cleaner with great success, but back in the days of Yello Gello, pharmacist solution was called for..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the use of ammonia in household cleaners might have been banned or at least not recommended. You certainly don't want to get ammonia into your eyes and the ammonia fumes are toxic.

Ammonia becomes very aggressive in higher concentrations especially when hot. Don't try to improve pharmacist's recipe by adding more ammonia! See this.