need to buy new printer

redeyeart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a lexmark printer that just died and I need to replace it. I'm looking for a printer that prints good quality photos, has inexpensive (is there such a thing?) ink cartridge refills, has cartridges that are fairly easy to refill (if I decide to try it myself). I started refilling my own cartridges several months ago and I think that may be what killed my printer. I don't care what brand my new printer is, although I've heard good things about Canon, just something that meets above criteria. Would like to spend 100-150 bucks.

Thanks for your help..............

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon or Epson are good choices. Both shut you down after getting to a set number of prints but the number should be in the thousands and usually there us a way to reset and go again. Not sure but I think Canon is easier to reset.
As for cheap ink, there is no such thing unless you refill or install a CIS (continuous ink system) which uses tubing drawing inks out of bottles and there are a lot of sites including this one that will tell you how to do this, it's not rocket science and well worth it considering the money you can save. Lexmark might have been messed up with your refilling but never used them before, I do know that I have printed thousands of full color pages plus black and white with an Epson 1400 using a CIS system with zero problems. If you print something daily you should not even have to do a head cleaning and the Epson uses an electronic (Piezo) head compare to thermal heads on all others. The thermal heads work great unless, and this is a biggy, the ink runs dry while printing, then the thermal head can overheat and self distruct! I hope this info helps you! Outoftheinkwell

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Forgot the cost breakdown....I did the math for my Epson 1400...If I buy six (240 mils) per ink bottle times the 6 colors my Epson uses I get (1440 mils total), I have to spend ( Including shipping) about $70.00,(not including shipping) That is about the same amount of inks you get in 20,(6 color sets) of Epson OEM cartridges.
20x6=120 cartridges x an average of $18.00 per cartridge which comes to $2160.00.(not including shipping)

So for the same amount of printing and about the same quality of print I save about $2090.00 "every time" I burn through 6 240 mil bottles of ink. Amazing Isn't it??? I submit that the need to use a CIS system is a "No Brainer". Of course if you don't print more than a few pages a week, your probably better off getting an HP with the heads IN the cartridges and forget the CIS! outoftheinkwell.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Canon is cheaper than Epson in operating cost with refilling or not. Epson gives you archival quality prints. Canon always print faster. It is my choice for printing text documents. HP has the advantage that if the print head is clogged or dead just get new cartridges and it will be as good as new again. If you print occasionally it is the choice and it is likely to be trouble free. Epson has an advantage that its print head will not burn out if there is problems in the cartridges. Epson is like a mule. Never tired of working and is reliable. Not trouble free but can be dealt with. Canon is less durable in the print head. But it can be replaced although not cheap. It works like a horse. Fast and with great quality. Easily get sick if you don't pay attention to it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tin Ho said:
Epson is like a mule. Never tired of working and is reliable.
You've obviously have little experience with mules. The saying "stubborn as a mule" is not fiction. :lol:

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks to you Tin Ho I have a happy Epson once again. I just fed it a bale of oats and it works! =d

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
stratman said:
Tin Ho said:
Epson is like a mule. Never tired of working and is reliable.
You've obviously have little experience with mules. The saying "stubborn as a mule" is not fiction. :lol:
I don't live with mules. You are right I know little about mules, comparing to people who lives with mules.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat said:
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Thanks to you Tin Ho I have a happy Epson once again. I just fed it a bale of oats and it works! =d
:yuckyuck
What's funny about it? I have used mules. They took me through trails I could not have gone through by myself. You just need to feed them. Are you jealous?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
OutOFtheinkwell said:
Thanks. Epson with CISS is a great way to save. Can't do it with Canon. Way to go, OutOFtheinkwell.