Kirkland Professional Glossy Photo Paper at Costco

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is a widely used photo paper in USA sold at Costco. I have used it since Costco started carrying it about 10 years ago. Originally the box of this paper showed it was made in Switzerland. Many years later it had a change in its box and it showed that it was make in USA. Currently it is on a different packaging and is made in Mexico. I am not concerned about where it is made. But today I compared a sheet out of a box made in USA to another sheet that was made in Switzerland I was surprised that the older one is a little whiter.

I am now convinced that the paper that was made in Switzerland is different from the one made in USA an is probably different from the one made in Mexico too. I compared prints made on both paper and found that the Switzerland paper shows a deeper black and more saturated in colors slightly. Is this paper at Costco no longer as good as before?

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I use it and at the moment have almost a thousand sheets sitting behind me. I have no idea where it comes from aside that Costco sells it but I do know that I love using it and I get the results I want from it.
ok!, I just picked up one box and it says (Made In Mexico) on the product!
It is just fine in my opinion, I don't know if I had some older stock made in another country or not! I have been using it for several years. I pay under $20.00 a box of 150 sheets and that is a lot better price than most! I would pay more gladly if the results were that much better but I am very happy with what I get with this paper!

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am not concerned that the paper is made in Mexico. It is probably still the best for the money. I am just surprised that the original Switzerland made paper is a little whiter. That difference has some impact on skin tone of the photos. All light colors we print will be affected by the base color of the paper we use.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I believe for a long time Costco/Kirkland paper was re-branded Ilford paper, which gets incredibly high ratings in the photo community. There was huge disappointment and a run on the product when they changed the supplier.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
What a surprise this is. I have been using Kirkland photo paper since Costco had it. I was impressed by its older batches. The latest (probably made in Mexico) is still very good but don't feel the same any more.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
This is a small part of a spreadsheet that we did a number of years ago on fading, and it shows the reflected light from 3 papers at wavelengths from 380nm (left) to 730 nm (right). This source lists visible light as falling in the 390-750 nm band, so the far left side is just above the UV band. The Kodak Ultima shows a value above 1.0 (which seems to be impossible) because it apparently has Optical brightening agents that convert some of the UV into visible light in the 430-450nm band. Unfortunately, OBAs are usually very prone to fading from UV exposure.

In any case, the Costco paper made in the US had a better curve than the Ilford paper. As this work was done before the paper from Mexico was introduced, I have no data on its characteristics.
113_kirk_whiteness.jpg

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Switzerland made paper is whiter than US made. I have both laying in front of me.