HP60 Refilling obscurity (w./ HP C4780) - INFORMATION AND CONTRIBUTION

z11111

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So I recently (about two months ago) got an HP C4780 printer which uses the notorious HP60 ink cartridges. Since I read up on how the HP60 cartridges are a huge ripoff, and being a student, I don't have the money to buy ink all the time, so I bought an ink refill kit and merrily went on my way refilling the stock HP60 black cartridge once.

Sometime last week, around tuesday, I went to refill the same HP60 cart again, and my printer started giving me the "Incompatible Ink Cartridge(s)" error with the black cart. I tried cleaning the contacts on the cart and in the printer as HP directs you to do so, leaving the cart out of the printer and then in the printer (with the printer on and off) for multiple days, doing a hard reset of the printer (from the debug menu on the printer itself), etc etc, and my HP60 cart just refused to work.

Today, after leaving the printer on for a few days without the black cart (set to Ink Backup mode), I went and bought a new ink cartridge. However, I decided to try my luck with the refilled black cartridge one last time. I peeled the label off the top of the cart (I just felt like doing so; no real reason why nor do I think this affects anything), and what do you know the refilled cart that I had struggled with suddenly works fine! Of course the printer claims that the "original HP ink has been depleted" or whatnot but the cartridge itself is working perfectly fine.

I assumed, after trying to get the cart to work for a week, that the copper contacts on the cartridge must have been damaged from being removed and installed back into the printer so many times, and that there was no possible way to get the cartridge to work for that reason. But now, the printer reads the cart. I haven't taken the cart out yet, mainly because I don't want to risk it not working again while it's full of ink.

Does anyone have any idea why this could have happened?

One thing that really surprises me is that no coders have tried to hack HP printer firmware or drivers to trick the printer into thinking the contacts are fine. I know nothing about coding, but I feel like this should be a relatively simple task! If coders have hacked iPhones and software and video games and various other things that are much more complicated than a printer, why not try to trick your printer into always accepting print cartridges? Any takers?