Help with Pixma iP2850

MatthewBen

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP2850
Hi everyone,
I have a Canon Pixma iP2850 which I am using to try and print new DVD covers.

My problem is every time I go into printer settings and choose glossy paper and A4 paper size the printer brings up an error message saying paper settings are incorrect and page size must be set to 10x15, when I do this the print comes out tiny despite having chosen to print to the images original size.

The printer seems unwilling to print to a photo paper set to A4 size, but that is the size of the paper, so can anyone tell e how to make the printer accept the A4 paper size setting?

Many thanks for any assistance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @MatthewBen and welcome, We know you have an iP2850, but what O/S are you using and which App. are you try to print from, this will save us going off half cocked with suggestions that are not relevant to your problem..

MatthewBen

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP2850
Sorry about that I realise I should have included more information.

I'm using Windows 10 and I have been trying to print from the Microsoft Office Picture Manager which first flagged up the problem, I have since tried to print from other programs such as GNU Manipulation program but the regardless of the app the printer gives the error messag e that the paper settings are incorrect.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I checked the printer specifications here, and sadly the printer only supports photo printing the formats 13x18cm and 10x15cm. So the limitation is not caused by the OS or a wrong setting, but by the printer specs.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Alternatively, you could try setting your print Media to Matte Photo Paper and see if you can print your glossy paper with that setting, Caution should be applied because the photo paper may be too heavy to pass through the printer.. :hu

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Not trying to tailcoat onto the excellent advice both PeterBJ and The Hat gave, but instead to reinforce it, the specifications and recommendations they gave can be read here, the relevant portions being:

Screenshot_2018-12-23 Canon PIXMA iP2850 -Specifications - Inkjet Photo Printers.png

Without reading the User Manual for your printer, it appears the only way to print an image larger than 13x18 cm is to select "Plain Paper". You may not be able to print "borderless" either, but at least you can print larger than 13x18 cm.

As to The Hat's second point on Paper Weight, note that the maximal weight of the paper is 275 g/m2 regardless of paper setting, though it could be that when using Plain Paper setting that you might have printing issues if the paper weight is greater than 105 g/m2. You won't know until you try it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Photo paper in the printer spec, is 275 gm, but that’s because these smaller sizes are all cross grained. otherwise it would have the same spec. as the Plain paper 105 gm....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Photo paper in the printer spec, is 275 gm, but that’s because these smaller sizes are all cross grained. otherwise it would have the same spec. as the Plain paper 105 gm....
Did you miss your morning eye opener? This was unclear to the uneducated like myself. :confused:

I've read this and still do not understand your point. :idunno I know this is some of the voodoo professional printers like yourself know about, but now that you mentioned it, I'd like to know more. :caf

What are the "smaller sizes" you refer to - paper weight or printable image dimensions?

Are you saying that the photo paper has paper grain and is why you can use up to 275 g/m2 paper weight but plain paper does not have paper grain and is why you can only use 105 g/m2 paper weight? Or vice versa?

What is is about paper grain that alters the dimensions of the printable image, the size of the paper one can use, and/or the paper weight one can use?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What is is about paper grain that alters the dimensions of the printable image, the size of the paper one can use, and/or the paper weight one can use?
When Standard Paper is cut in half the paper grain makes it much easier to fit around the feed system of any Cassette feed printer, because it doesn’t have the same stiffness of its bigger brother, so the smaller paper sizes can be of heaver stock, 105 gm to 275 gm..

Untitled-2.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
so the smaller paper sizes can be of heaver stock, 105 gm to 275 gm.
In your example, are you not feeding the A5 into the printer perpendicular to the grain shown in your example? If so, is that what makes feeding of heavier card stock easier?