Greyscale embedded photo printing problem

there are 2 options for a JPG image file - please check the image properties - the dimensions field specifies either 24 bit color or 256 bit grayscale , and Word apparently does not support such file properties

jpg1.jpg jpg2.jpg
 
Interesting @Ink stained Fingers.

A Google search returned info on inserting images into Microsoft Office products. The following concerns MS Office 2000:

If your picture is grayscale, has large areas of one solid color, or has areas of high contrast (sharp differences between light and dark areas), choose the GIF format.

and

If you want your picture to be in grayscale or to have fewer than 256 colors, then use either the TIFF or GIF format. The TIFF format is the printing industry standard for graphics, because it does not use a lossy compression scheme, which other formats such as JPEG do. It also supports multiple levels of transparency, which few other formats do.
 
All the greyscale photos are on 8 bits channel. Some print, some don't. I can't check any further for image properties and can't see what the software is that you are displaying. I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop and am using Word 2003. I have just downloaded the latest Canon driver. No change. I have done a Detect and Repair in Word. No change. I repeat - I have printed the document 8 times without a problem. Something, somewhere has changed.

For clarity I attach a screengrab of the Canon preview. Note that both photos are of identical format and previously both printed out.

A friend has just printed it successfully from Word on a HP Deskjet!
 

Attachments

  • Canon preview P62.gif
    Canon preview P62.gif
    287.2 KB · Views: 415
Interesting @Ink stained Fingers.

A Google search returned info on inserting images into Microsoft Office products. The following concerns MS Office 2000:



and
Yes, it certainly prints OK as a .tiff but it previously did as a .jpg and the other .jpgs are OK. Maybe I'll just have to accept that something has changed and either change all the greyscales to .tiff or alternatively convert the doc to a .pdf which also works.
 
I wonder if it's the Canon print preview that’s causing this problem, try disabling the Canon print preview because it’s known to cause some print issues with certain Apps..
 
there are plenty Exif data viewers available, some graphic programs show as well those data, at least partially
 
Roll the system back using a restore point prior to the date of satisfactory greyscale printing in work, and try it again.
 
I wonder if it's the Canon print preview that’s causing this problem, try disabling the Canon print preview because it’s known to cause some print issues with certain Apps..
Good thought, but, just tried it, made no difference.
 
Roll the system back using a restore point prior to the date of satisfactory greyscale printing in work, and try it again.
I'm a bit nervous about doing that. It was a few months ago and a fair bit of water has gone under the bridge since then in system additions.
 
Back
Top