Epson R280 Printer (pigment and Dye )

sound427

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Looks like I have to do more research about this Epson Reset/ink pad util. Because It is over my head and I have no clue what you guys are speaking of.
I do have 2 epson R280's. 1 is being used and the other is brand new and still in OEM box.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"

sound427

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
websnail might have overlooked the resetting issue.

1. The R280 does indeed have the Epson reset utility and the one I posted here http://rapidshare.com/files/199766310/epson12462.exe should work for the R280.
Great.

I spent most of the night last night reading up on this. Already know what I have to do but the link, but there is an issue. The link above works but the software doesn't support or see the printer when trying to installing the program. I searched online but cannot find anything that work.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sound427 said:
I spent most of the night last night reading up on this. Already know what I have to do but the link, but there is an issue. The link above works but the software doesn't support or see the printer when trying to installing the program. I searched online but cannot find anything that work.
Do you have an R280 or a similar model?

Also, have you installed the driver so the printer is actually connected and seen by the printer? Without that the utility won't work..

sound427

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
sound427 said:

Also, have you installed the driver so the printer is actually connected and seen by the printer? Without that the utility won't work..
I've mentioned that I have (2) R280 printers and Yes to both questions.. Epson driver are installed on this system and the OS is Vista Ultimate.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sound427 said:
websnail said:

I've mentioned that I have (2) R280 printers and Yes to both questions.. Epson driver are installed on this system and the OS is Vista Ultimate.
Think that last may be your problem... I'm not convinced it'll work with Vista..

sound427

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
websnail might have overlooked teh restting issue.

1. The R280 does indeed have the Epson reset utility and the one I posted here http://rapidshare.com/files/199766310/epson12462.exe should work for the R280.

One benefit of the Epson piezo head is that it can work perfectly fine with both pigment and dye ink as long as the properties of the ink are suitable for the head and only high quality pigment and dye should be used.
The OEM Claria colors are not very close to existing pigment inks for the better higher end printers. As a result you will need to use color management in your printing if you use the pigment inks and want color fidelity.

I can vouch for interchanging pigment and dye inks on the same machine. It can be done but the user should flush or print enough to flush out the prior inks when changing. I have been doing this on two different printers from different generations for about a year with no ill effect. I am going to ascribe prior problems of others to incompatible ink formulations and not flushing and printing enough to cleanse the system each time. You see some ink formulations can gel if mixed. So should you use some other dye/pigment formulation your results may differ. That I cannot predict.
Hey guys,

Now I've now set up the pigment ink system on my R280 new printer. It prints test sheet great, but here is the issue I'm having.

I'm printing on Taiyo Yuden WaterSheild Media with this and the print out of color is great but here is the catch. I'm able to rub off the ink with just a swipe of my finger with pressure (that includes overnight drying time). On my dye base system with this media it is flawless and normal drying time, but now with the pigment ink it doesn't work well even though the print out are ok.

I am stuck on what to try. Does anyone have suggestions.????

Websnail: You mention in you're post that the use of Color Management in the Epson printer setting I may have to fool around with. Can you assist me as I don't know what to do.

P.S. I tried printing off a photograph on high glossy paper and the ink also rubs off w/pressure.

Thank You

sound427

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score