EPSON or CANON, help me decide

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have used Canon exclusively for years but thinking about one of the new tank printers. I print plenty of Pics of the grandkids dogs etc. Of Canon or Epson's base tank models which has a dual paper path. I ask this because I print a lot of Christmas cards which work best with a rear straight paper path. Which models have this feature. Which of the two brands would you reccomend and why?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
I would suggest the Epson ET-8550: it has straight paper path (8x10 and up). It is also very economical to print and does a great job with neutral black and white prints (gray ink included).

zeboma

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8559
I would suggest the Epson ET-8550: it has straight paper path (8x10 and up). It is also very economical to print and does a great job with neutral black and white prints (gray ink included).
I too am looking....either Canon Pro 300, 1000, and.....I think I'd prefer the ET-8550. The one downside I've seen has been about wheel marks (on thick papers only) and some black smudging, some challenges with true black. Are you generally happy --on those, and all other fronts?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I too am looking....either Canon Pro 300, 1000, and.....I think I'd prefer the ET-8550. The one downside I've seen has been about wheel marks (on thick papers only) and some black smudging, some challenges with true black. Are you generally happy --on those, and all other fronts?
I'm not happy with such general statements - wheel marks - true black etc, lots of those are commented as well for various other printers.

The ET-8550 runs with dye inks, there are a few sources offering as well a pigment inkset for the ET-8550, I don't have experience with such inks in the ET-8550 , but the selection dye vs. pigment inks should carefully be considered . So it's not just the ET-8550 vs. the Pro 300 but as well the Epson P700/900 which might be considered.
Marks of sprocket wheels are reported for various printers, it is not so much a paper thickness issue but a property of the coating how fast the surface dries. You should not look after such marks directly after print but after a day, you'll see that the paper coating is very much sealing such marks after some drying time , in most cases to a level of invisibility. And different papers behave very differently in this respect .

There is some pigment blob build-up in the ET-8550 - but less than in the ET-7750 - which can be cleaned away easily.

True black - whatever that is - the ET-8550 is mixing the dye and pigment black for some matte papers - copy paper - inkjet paper and matte only for the velvet fine Art paper. The ET-8550 can run as well the advanced B/W mode which allows you to tone - like sepia - or neutralize your monochrome prints - separately for the lighter and darker regions. The paper color is predominant for the lighter grays and the ink color for the darker grays to black.
But therre is a limit how 'neutral' a print can look with dye inks - specifically under different light conditions, pigment inks can fair better in lthis respect, but this is not specific to the ET-8550 or a Pro 300 .

Last edited: