Colormunki Photo device and ccStudio

Guff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 7880 Mac Studio Ventura
Hello all,

I'm trying to establish whether my Colormunki Photo device is faulty or whether I have a software / driver issue.

i1Studio and ccStudio are the same AFAIK. A lot of these sort of things appear to be just rebadged and re-marketed.

Neither will get past the 'Calibrating' stage when attempting to create a printer paper profile using this device. 'Calibrating... this may take a few seconds' remains visible and doesn't complete, but the dial position on the CM device is correctly recognised prior to this by ccStudio.

Uninstalling and re-installing different versions, older and newer, different usb cables and testing on a older computer with the same software all stop at this same point.

However, Palette Master Ultimate (a relatively recent monitor calibration app made by Benq) works fine with the device to allow me to make a monitor profile without problems. (PMU is not installed on the other older machine so I can rule that out as a conflict).

If it were a software issue with Calibrite I would expect to find many other reports of this happening but I can't find any and yes, I know it's a very old device, but it does what I need and I really haven't used it much so before it goes in the bin I'd like to be certain that it is indeed faulty.

I did take a look on this forum and I saw a long impressive thread on dismantling this product to repair it, I'm hoping it won't come to that and that was for a slightly different issue from what I could see.

Thoughts and Ideas appreciated,

Thanks,

Jim

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
Very strange indeed: the most common problem is the internal reflecting points are tarnished giving you the error the Colormunki wheel is not in the right position. This forces you to open the device and clean those reflector points so the Colormunki wheel will pin point correctly when rotating the wheel to the right position.

Another problem is that the white point tile in the calibrating position is severely tarnished giving a white point that is off the limits or is broken.

Guff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Very strange indeed: the most common problem is the internal reflecting points are tarnished giving you the error the Colormunki wheel is not in the right position. This forces you to open the device and clean those reflector points so the Colormunki wheel will pin point correctly when rotating the wheel to the right position.

Another problem is that the white point tile in the calibrating position is severely tarnished giving a white point that is off the limits or is broken.
That's very interesting and definitely worth a look as a last resort, once opened up is it easy enough to clean any tarnished points? Thanks for your reply.

VISDATA

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON L805.L801

Guff,You can use XRITE official detection software i1Diagnostics-4.2.5 to test whether the instrument is normal​

Guff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks very much for your reply VISDATA, I'll take a look.

👍

GordW

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I also have a ColorMunki Photo that I had issues with macOS 14 Sonoma on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. At the time I reached out to Calibrite and here was their suggestion, using ccStudio.... (The second section worked, and continues to work, for me). I'm not sure if this is the same as the issue you are experiencing, but it may be worth a try.

--- (From Calibrite Support)...

In the latest versions of Ventura and Sonoma, there are added security that appear to be halting or interrupting XDR and causing the X-Rite devices (like your ColorMunki Photo) from connecting to Calibrite ccStudio and ccProfiler (both developed by X-Rite for Calibrite). The new calibrite PROFILER has removed the need for XRD altogether, however the ColorMunki Photo & Design, X-Rite i1Studio, and Calibrite ColorChecker Studio devices will not be added to calibrite PROFILER until later this year.

First...when you first start out, make sure that you're clicking on the ColorChecker Studio/ColorMunki Photo devices on the left in the ccStudio home page.

If the software continues to ask you to connect a measurement device, click on the "Previous" arrow in the lower right corner of the window and then click the "Next" arrow in the previous window. If this works, just remember to go previous and next again if you see the device connection issue.

If the Previous/Next doesn't help, I'd recommend the following:
  1. Unplug the ColorMunki Photo and close all applications (especially ccStudio)
  2. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/X-Rite and then delete (Move to Trash) the "Frameworks" folder. Empty your Trash.
  3. Download and save X-Rite Device Services (XRD) 3.0.132 by clicking here: Download
  4. Go to your Downloads folder, right-click (or control click) on the XRDManager.pkg and choose "Open" to launch the installer.
  5. After the computer has restarted, plug in the ColorMunki Photo and test.

If reinstalling XRD fails to establish connection, try the following:
  1. Navigate to: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/X-Rite/Frameworks/XRiteDevice.framework/Versions/B/Resources
  2. Double click on “xrdd” to open and run it in Terminal.
  3. Keep Terminal open and then open ccStudio to test.
  4. If the CM Photo connects to ccStudio, keep Terminal open while profiling and then close it when you are finished.
  5. If the device connects this way, you might want to create an alias of xrdd and save it to your desktop. Your workaround would be to plug in the CM Photo, double-click on the "xrdd" alias to run it in Terminal, and then open ccStudio.

Keep in mind that you will no longer need to have XRD on your computer after the CM Photo & CM Design, i1Studio, and ColorChecker Studio devices are added to the calibrite PROFILER later on.
---