Colormunki Photo device and ccStudio

Guff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 7880 Mac Studio Ventura
Hello all,

I'm trying to establish whether my Colormunki Photo device is faulty or whether I have a software / driver issue.

i1Studio and ccStudio are the same AFAIK. A lot of these sort of things appear to be just rebadged and re-marketed.

Neither will get past the 'Calibrating' stage when attempting to create a printer paper profile using this device. 'Calibrating... this may take a few seconds' remains visible and doesn't complete, but the dial position on the CM device is correctly recognised prior to this by ccStudio.

Uninstalling and re-installing different versions, older and newer, different usb cables and testing on a older computer with the same software all stop at this same point.

However, Palette Master Ultimate (a relatively recent monitor calibration app made by Benq) works fine with the device to allow me to make a monitor profile without problems. (PMU is not installed on the other older machine so I can rule that out as a conflict).

If it were a software issue with Calibrite I would expect to find many other reports of this happening but I can't find any and yes, I know it's a very old device, but it does what I need and I really haven't used it much so before it goes in the bin I'd like to be certain that it is indeed faulty.

I did take a look on this forum and I saw a long impressive thread on dismantling this product to repair it, I'm hoping it won't come to that and that was for a slightly different issue from what I could see.

Thoughts and Ideas appreciated,

Thanks,

Jim

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
Very strange indeed: the most common problem is the internal reflecting points are tarnished giving you the error the Colormunki wheel is not in the right position. This forces you to open the device and clean those reflector points so the Colormunki wheel will pin point correctly when rotating the wheel to the right position.

Another problem is that the white point tile in the calibrating position is severely tarnished giving a white point that is off the limits or is broken.

Guff

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 7880 Mac Studio Ventura
Very strange indeed: the most common problem is the internal reflecting points are tarnished giving you the error the Colormunki wheel is not in the right position. This forces you to open the device and clean those reflector points so the Colormunki wheel will pin point correctly when rotating the wheel to the right position.

Another problem is that the white point tile in the calibrating position is severely tarnished giving a white point that is off the limits or is broken.
That's very interesting and definitely worth a look as a last resort, once opened up is it easy enough to clean any tarnished points? Thanks for your reply.