Canon Pro-100 ink available from Precision Colors

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks for that.
Yes I seem to have suffered a bout of dyslexia earlier on. Saw it had happened after I clicked submit.
I'll check out Alibaba for a reply as you suggest and let you know if I make any progress with the chip supplier. I get infrequent but unannounced power outages where I live so an auto reset type might be quite risky.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I have auto resets on my PRO9500 MKII.

All you need to make sure of is to top off if you all of a sudden see that all your colors are back up to 100% when you know that the night before they were at different levels.
I NEVER let mine go below 50%. Always have a second set of carts to replace the low one. Then top of the low one so it is ready when needed again.
You will reduce the number of ink purges by replacing the whole set. If you do not, you will get into a Domino effect where you will find you are changing a color every few days instead of just once every few weeks. Saves on you Waste Ink Pads.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you replace too quickly, you're kind of cutting back on the benefits of the complete swap. I'd tend to go the 75% or even higher as the 9500 tracks the actual usage quite nicely. Also don't forget that when we refill, we typically actually have the cartridge fuller than what the chip expects so there is an even larger reserve than Canon allowed. At 50% you'll be doing the waste ink pad thing about 80% more than if you'd go nearer to empty. Of course even at 50% you're still way way way ahead of what would be occurring if changed one at a time. The 9500 is such a nice printer it would really be a shame if the ink pad got filled before the printer wore out. Given the few problems this printer is displaying when the user knows how to maintain an inkjet, it is distinct possibility that this will happen for many. So the word on the complete swap/refill needs to be told and understood so these don't end up in the landfill sooner than they need be.

Pixmaker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please, I'll appreciate simple advice regarding this situation:

I wish to use a Pro-100 with Canon CLI42 OEM cartridges. I'll buy extra Canon OEM carts to have spares. I want to refill these
carts with bulk ink similar to the way I have prepared and refilled carts for my iP4000's, for years. I understand that it's really wise to use Canon OEM carts and not whatever aftermarket carts are available.

I also conclude that no chip resetter exists for these CLI42 carts and that I must disable the ink-low warning feature in the Pro-100 in order to use the refilled carts. I also understand that I must monitor the ink levels to avoid running any cart dry and thereby frying the print head.

Armed with this information and these caveats, am I good to go or have I missed something really important?

Thanks for your experience and advice

Pixmaker (Dave in FLL)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Sounds good to me. Sure that Mike can give more details as he has done the research.
When I said 50% and replace the cart set, I must have been thinking of Epson refillable carts. Some have very inaccurately coded chips that tend to over estimate the actually volume. Example, a chip coded for 15ml but the refillable only holds 10-11 ml. Since I have external waste bottles on my Epson ( except the 2200 ) and I also have adjustment programs to reset waste ink counters for all of them, I am not concerned about purge cycles.
On the Canon OEM carts, CLI-8 and PGI-9 ( 9000MKII and 9500 MKII ) the optical prism seems to do an admirable job in detecting when the ink chamber is empty. The sponge is still pretty full at this point and you can then do your cart swaps.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Pixmaker has the right idea and nothing has been missed.

Epson has started using the optical prism in place of the ink sensor circuit. These are on the Expression series.
I have one I am testing today- the XP-600. I picked one up because it looks to have the potential to be a Canon CMYK+K desktop replacement. I must have gotten a bad sample. Popped in the OEM carts and then 10 head cleans later still cannot print a good nozzle check pattern. Now the carts are empty. Epson has another being dispatched to replace it. So far this machine sounds good on paper. The nozzle counts are high, it is speedy but the cartridge design appears very deceptive. There is a lot more to this design than meets the eye. So far today, I have been beat in deciphering what makes these things tick.

GONE are the high pressure seals. I'll start another thread to describe the machine.