Canon Pro-100 Banding in Standard Quality Mode but great in High Quality Mode

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I use Color Precision Inks and have had no issues. After a period of no printing I get banding. I've watched videos and read forums and have cleaned the print head in a solution of 10 part distilled water, 2 parts isopropyl alcohol and 1 part ammonia. I did a nozzle check and found that the cyan nozzle is still causing the issue. HOWEVER, as soon as I did that I "accidentally" printed a Test page using High Quality mode. I noticed that there was no banding. Repeating this with Standard Quality mode reveals banding. Interesting! I reprinted an image that I know was banding and I got banding (this was done using Standard Quality)... sure enough, banding. I repeated using High Quality... NO BANDING.

The good news is I can now create prints that look fantastic. The bad news is that I suspect this uses a lot more ink. Am I correct in this?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do?

One other piece of info that may be useful: I have tested using two different sets of ink cartridges and get the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

martincregg

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Anyone have any experience regarding my post?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Different quality settings use different droplet sizes which are printed by different nozzle rows so your observations are quite possible. Did you ever replace the printhead before ? It is most likely time to do so at this time.

ozkar_vargas

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma 100
I use Color Precision Inks and have had no issues. After a period of no printing I get banding. I've watched videos and read forums and have cleaned the print head in a solution of 10 part distilled water, 2 parts isopropyl alcohol and 1 part ammonia. I did a nozzle check and found that the cyan nozzle is still causing the issue. HOWEVER, as soon as I did that I "accidentally" printed a Test page using High Quality mode. I noticed that there was no banding. Repeating this with Standard Quality mode reveals banding. Interesting! I reprinted an image that I know was banding and I got banding (this was done using Standard Quality)... sure enough, banding. I repeated using High Quality... NO BANDING.

The good news is I can now create prints that look fantastic. The bad news is that I suspect this uses a lot more ink. Am I correct in this?

One other piece of info that may be useful: I have tested using two different sets of ink cartridges and get the same issue.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Martin, Did you find a solution to your problem
I just realized mine is also printing with bandings and I also use PC inks... any solution?

ozkar_vargas

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma 100
I printed a Test Print and it looks all is good but when printing in standard quality bands are printed

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
printed a Test Print and it looks all is good but when printing in standard quality bands are printed
The printer may use smaller droplets for the high quality mode, and these are located in another nozzle row. Canon nozzles can only print one droplet size, Epson nozzles can be controlled by the driver for several different droplet sizes.

Last edited:

ozkar_vargas

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma 100
Thanks, I wonder why the print test is normal, I also printed two different printer evaluation images and no banding, all from Lightroom, but definitely if I print one of my photos with standard quality, banding appears, but with high quality the image. It is perfect and without bands. If the nozzle is clogged, the test print should have banding, right?

ruuduitdegraaf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sc-p900
I’m not familiar with canon, but could be a weaving issue (google : Epson weaving technology print)
At higher higher quality settings the weaving (multiple passes) is more dense and different interference of the drops between the various passes.
A calibration of the paper advance system might help (don’t know the name for canon)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-900, SC-P800. WF-7840
An educated guess (based on the topic starter uses PC inks) is that he refills: now after some time the ink flow of the cartridges will diminish a bit. The high speed printing mode can be problem when the ink is not fed fast enough towards the nozzles giving micro banding in high speed printing mode. The high quality mode not only improves microweaving (less visible) but also the ink droplets are laid slower giving the cartridge just enough time to feed the nozzles with enough ink without giving micro banding. So it could be both printing speed and feeding problems combined. One might try to flush those cartridges and recondition them again before filling with the PC refill ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You could try cleaning the timing strip with window cleaner if the banding is vertical, and if they are horizontal then clean the timing strip cylinder on the left side of the printer..

1725910153448.png