Canon Pixma MG6150 - non original ink review by user

arts.fantasy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello!

about 2 weeks ago i was browsing this forum in search for a way or a method to refill my Canon Pixma printer, and sadly i have found little useful info.

but ofc - if you have an idea - then do it! thus so i wanted to share my begging attempts at finding a alternative ink for my printer.
I have to say -that those printer corporations are blood sucking **** - are they scared of competition? and i think this is a well known issue with this community - being locked with a company though technological design and planned obsolescence.

So i wanted just to mark now how important the info on this site is! and how important is for people like YOU to get that info OUT!

So - i got a Canon MG6150 Pixma printer, newly bought and i just used up my second batch of ink. At this moment they are pretty expensive ~45$ for a cartridge in a shop ( 5 needed ) and 22$ online - comparing the amount of prints you are getting, its not cheap. And further, whenever the printer is indicating a empty cardrige, it is not. I got less than 1 a4 single color page from a equivalent 'empty' cartridge - which is quite a lot if youre printing mostly text or DVD's ( as in my case ).

I went for my hunt to get a alternative supplier for my ink, and sadly i have found none.

the issue it seems to be with the encryption of the chip ( they encrypt it as well?! ) to eliminatre competition. Its too hard to break! So the only option it seems to refill them.

But further, the chip is programmed to do x amount of prints only - BUT - the software that is supplied with the printer allows to bypass that in a very lame way.

I got my hands on a ebay item that claimed that it has a 'chip extender' and compatible cartridges with my printer for 66au a set of 4 cartrides. So i bought that.

When i got it delivered, i was suppressed that this package contains 3 batches of cartrides per 4... WOW - great! how do i get it running? instructions where given, written in a somewhat grammar structure lacking English, but i could understand it easely. on top of that, the seller provided a video on a VCD showing everything how its done.

the trick is to remove the original chips and insert them permanently in your printer, and then disable the ink level detection. ( so its not realy THE chip extender, but a peace of plastic that will allow you to mount the chip within the printer ). IT can be hard thou! as you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when removing the chip not to scratch it or bend it. I wasted 3 chips that way, and i consider myself pretty nibbly! So take EXTRA CARE whenever you are doing this - unelss you are going to lend up with buying another original cartridge.

The ink works great! and i have not found any quality loss. The dissadvantage is that you need to pay attention to the ink level - as the ink level detection is disabled on your PC AND in the printer. Basically the printer and PC will indicate a empty cartridge all the time. The cartridges are transparent, and that would be the only way for you to trak it.

you have to pay close attention this, as printing with no ink can damage the printer head ( apparently ).

thats it guys! so far im a happy beaver with my super multi functional printer/scanner with duplex AND with cheap ink!.

sijuw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying this with a refillable cartridge but continually get message that the cartridge is not recognized. I've been very careful with the chip but I'm not sure if its damaged. I've been placing the chip on the refillable cartridge with double sided tape. Is there some way to tell. Do I need to clear this message somehow? Any ideas?

arts.fantasy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
You will know if the chip is damaged or not if the red light will blink when you will place the chip inside with the cartridge on it.

if the chip is mounted inside the printer, and you install your cartridge on top of it, and the red light does NOT glow - then the chip is damaged.

i had the same problem few times with my M cartridge. After several prints, the printer would just say 'ink unrecognized'. Annoying... at first i just was refitting the cartridge and that worked after few tries, and for few prints. But then i figured that the ink cartridges that im using are pressing the chip too hard, thus so the message pops up.

If you look at the front of the ink cartridge, where chip should be, the cartridge has 2 tiny plastic bolts, cut them off and try then if you have the same message.

also wen you are putting the cartridge in, make sure the red light glows.

sijuw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought a new original cart, got the printer to recognize it, then I took the chip off, placed it on my refillable. Now the refillable is working and status shows ink is full. As it approaches empty, presumably I will have to disable the ink monitor before filling again. I haven't seen this described for the mg6150, is there a specific procedure for refilling?.. I think I may have gone too far with my first chip, to the point where it couldn't restore with a reset.

Thanks so much for your help!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sijuw1

If you went to the trouble of getting a new Canon cartridge, why didnt you just use up the ink inside and then remove the chip?
Compatible cartridges are not a patch on the OEMs for reliability and consistence.
If it was because the 526 cartridges are black that youre using compatibles then you might try the Canon 521s instead,
transferring the chip to them and refill when empty.
The 526 cartridge chips cannot be reset and youll have to disable the ink monitoring to continue to print. :|

sijuw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The refillable work fine, though had I more experience I might have done as you say.

I can put the chip back on the canon cartridge so I'm not to worried about wasting the ink - but I wasn't sure about the process of disabling the ink monitor since my previous chip seems completely dead. I'm currently printing on a tank which is full and the monitor shows empty, can anyone describe what will happen when it comes time to disable the monitor..

Thanks for the comments

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sijuw1 I'm currently printing on a tank which is full and the monitor shows empty, can anyone describe what will happen when it comes time to disable the monitor..
When its time to disable the ink monitor, nothing will happen thats just it, you carry on printing as before.
The best way to manage your cartridges when using this method is to shake each one,
listen and guess the amount left or weigh the cartridge before printing begins.. :)

sijuw1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks. Fortunately the refillable carts I got hold off are transparent so no problems there.

One unrelated thing is that I noticed with the compatible pigment ink I'm using, it isn't quite deep black as the canon pgi525 ink. I noticed you use KMP U from octoinjet.... does this ink match the canon ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
sijuw1 I noticed you use KMP U from octoinjet.... does this ink match the canon ink?
I use two types of KMP inks, Universal and the 220 black.
The universal is a good all round choice of pigment black but the 220 black I find is about the best
I have used to date and I wouldnt even consider using Canon black again its that good.. :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
sijuw1 said:
One unrelated thing is that I noticed with the compatible pigment ink I'm using, it isn't quite deep black as the canon pgi525 ink.
Would that ink happen to be OCP?