Finally--success!! Horay!!
OK, here's what I did. First, as noted in the previous post, I made another cleaning cartridge using a print head cleaning solution I bought on line but this was the same as the Windex cleaning cartridge. It would get some of the nozzle check to work if I put Windex on the screen on the print head and on the purge pads but then it would fade away to printing nothing at all on successive nozzle checks.
So, thinking that the problem was a clog inside the print head but before the nozzles, I removed all the cartridges, put Windex on all the screens, did a cleaning (by turning the power off and on) and finishing with a nozzle check. I repeated until nothing was printed for the entire nozzle check. Then I removed the print head, remembering to put the locking lever back down so it wouldn't get smashed if the printer decided to return the carriage back to its park position. Then I got a short piece of rubber tubing that was large enough to fit over the screen on the print head and large enough to fit over the end of my syringe (without the needle). Actually, it was a little too large so nothing stayed in place, I had to hold everything together. I put Windex in the syringe and pumped it in and out of the print head while the print head was resting on paper towels. I made sure to not tilt the print head so that any liquid would flow to the back side of the print head where the electronics are. After several attempts at forcing Windex in and out of the print head, I blotted up all the loose liquids with towels and Q-tips and used canned air to blow away any remaining liquid, including under all the electronics surrounding the print head. I put the print head back in the printer, put in all the cartridges with the cleaning cartridge in the Cyan position, put Windex on the purge pads and did a nozzle check (which automatically does a cleaning cycle because the print head had been removed). Now the cyan part of the nozzle check is printing a faint solid block (because the ink is diluted in the cleaning solution). Finally, I installed the normal cyan cartridge, did a cleaning cycle and several nozzle checks, all of which looked good. I copied a page of blue and it looked good. More nozzle checks looked good. I'll try again tomorrow and report.