Canon Pixma ip5000 driver problem

DaveM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP5000
Dear All,

My first problem, alas, is probably stupidity, since I've tried so many things I can hardly remember which now. I did however reset the counter, apparently successfully, and the nozzle check seems to be perfect (I am familiar with and have examined this check on many occasions in the past).

So... the current problem is that despite a perfect nozzle check, I cannot get the printer to print in black from any other application. The print comes out instead in cyan - similar to the first horizontal bar when you do a nozzle check.

Any thoughts would be very welcome indeed.

Many thanks for reading!

DaveM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP5000
update......(even worse!)
well, now the black is completely invisible, despite OK nozzle check!

(digging a big hole and falling down into it........)
Regards, DaveM

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
So... the current problem is that despite a perfect nozzle check, I cannot get the printer to print in black from any other application. The print comes out instead in cyan - similar to the first horizontal bar when you do a nozzle check.
Does this mean that the grid pattern for pigment black is missing? If it is, then that explains the behaviour of the printer. Here is a normal nozzle check for an iP4000, which is similar to the ip5000:

iP4000-normal inks.jpg

And here the pigment black is missing:

iP4000-no PGBK.jpg

DaveM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP5000
Hello Peter,
.....someone with some brains I see (as distinct to the writer)!

Thank you for pointing out the obvious to someone (ie me) who cannot see what is not in front of him!
So 3eBk is the culprit?

er.... but what might the possible remedies be - buy a new 3eBk ink cartridge for starters I suppose?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The missing PGBK could be caused by no ink being fed to the print head from the cartridge, clogged nozzles or passages in the print head or an electronic defect in the print head and/or logic board.

To test the ink flow from the pigment black cartridge first take one of the working colour cartridges and hold a piece of kitchen paper/paper handkerchief under the ink outlet, then blow gently into the vent to expel a drop of ink, notice how little effort that takes. Now repeat the test with the pigment black cartridge. If no ink is expelled or it takes considerable more effort, something is wrong with the cartridge. A new cartridge would then be recommended.

If the pigment black cartridge is OK then you can test the print head for clogging of the pigment black by making a stamp test. If the longer stripe for the pigment black is missing, the print head is clogged and might be saved by cleaning. If the stripe is present ink is fed to the nozzles but the nozzles are not firing. This is caused by an electronic defect. A new print head might then bring the printer back to working order, but I think the QY6-0057 print head is nowhere to be found as new original spare part. Beware of refurbished print heads from the far East.

Replacing a defective Canon print head is a gamble, when it fails electronically. it might damage the logic board in the printer. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head.

Could you please do these tests and report the results?

DaveM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP5000
Dear Peter,

I am happy to report that repeated cleaning finally saved the day - many thanks indeed for this and all your other helpful suggestions, which have been duly noted for future application if required!

Forums like this are a real godsend for the uninformed and/or unwary!

Dave
PS your icon brings back happy memories of a school cruise long ago to Copenhagen