Canon MG6460

Chicksky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6460
Canon MG6460

Trying to reset ink counter I find the common way of most canon reset is to hold power button and stop/triangle, then press and release the Stop/Tri 4 or 6 times.

This doesn’t work as the power switch has to be pressed and released to power on. No lights on until release of power switch, switch lights up, by the time you press Stop/Tri the screen has already changed to call canon service. Error code 5B00

Even power button pressing then releasing and pressing again does not work

Would resetting the Eprom help and if so where do I get program?

Chicksky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6460
Help ? somebody?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Resetting the ink absorber counter is a two step procedure. First the printer must enter service mode. then a suitable software service tool must be used to reset the counter.

The printer is of the PGI-650/CLI-651 cartridge generation. This means that service tool V4718 is suitable for the reset of the MG6460. The use of a too old (too low version number) will lock access to service mode. Newer printer models need higher version numbers to avoid locking service mode. Here is a link to the service tool.

To enter service mode:

1. The printer is off
  2. Press and hold the Stop button.
  3. Press and hold the Power button.
  4. Release the Stop button while the Power button is not released.
  5. While holding down the Power button, press and release the Stop button 5 times.
  6. After pressing and releasing the Stop button 5 times, release the Power button. Wait a few moments, the Power LED will flash and light green. If the Power LED is green and not blinking, it means that the printer has entered Service Mode.

To reset the absorber counter: See this post. It is using an older version of the service tool, V3400, but the procedure is the same with the V4718.

When the reset is completed turn off the printer and close the service tool.

If you want to read more about service tools and reset procedures I suggest to read this post and the rest of the thread.

Good luck with the reset.

Chicksky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6460
Thank you for the information and I have done the following:
Have followed your suggestion this is result:
  1. The printer is off
  2. Press and hold the Stop button.
  3. Press and hold the Power button.
  4. Release the Stop button while the Power button is not released.
  5. While holding down the Power button, press and release the Stop button 5 times.
  6. After pressing and releasing the Stop button 5 times, release the Power button.
  7. This happens Printer Cycles Switch light Flashes goes steady Printer Cycles no screen on printer.
  8. Press power button after 5 mins cycles powers off.
  9. Your suggestion:
  10. Wait a few moments, the Power LED will flash and light green. If the Power LED is green and not blinking, it means that the printer has entered Service Mode. Not happening!
I then Press power button Printer Cycles Screen reads support code again contact Canon Service

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know if I understand your item 7 correctly:?
This happens:

Printer lights changes between power and alarm light each time the the Stop/resume button is pressed.
Power light flashes and goes steady.
The printers screen goes black/blank.

If so this is OK. It indicates that the printer has entered service mode and now is waiting for your orders via the service tool.

Maybe this instruction will be easier to understand?:

I assume you have downloaded the Service Tool V4718 and unpacked it and placed the unpacked file on the desktop.

The service tool can only be used with a Windows computer, you cannot use Mac and Linux computers. The service tool only works with a USB connection, Wireless cannot be used even if the printer has this capability. It is also important that only the printer you want to perform service mode operations on is connected to the computer. No other printers must be connected to the computer.

Here is the procedure to enter service mode from a service manual, slightly edited to make it more clear:

i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power and Resume/Cancel button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights steadily in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

When the printer has entered service mode Windows will probably install a new printer or a "device". just allow this.

Make sure there is paper in both the cassette and the rear paper feed as you cannot predict which paper source the printer will use. I think that the MG6460 has got no rear paper feed? If so of course there can only be paper in the cassette.

Now open the service tool. Check that "Main" is selected in the "Clear Ink Counter" and then click "Set".
A small window "A function was finished" opens. Close this window by clicking OK. The printer might print a page with the text "D=000.0" in the upper left corner. Else you can click the EEPROM button to get a print that verifies that the absorber counter has been resat. D should now be 000.0 or very close to 0.

After a successful reset turn the printer off and close the service tool.

Here is a screen shot using service tool V4718 with explanations:

Reset using ST4718.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chicksky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6460
Hi PeterBJ
Finaly I have had success with all the problems.
Reset counter, thanks for the info
Cleaned printhead B200 fault this worked for me
Paper feed was overcome by packing sponge behind roller carrier.
Again thank you