Canon i9900 alignment problem

sherlocc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your rules for new members are not allowing me to post my screen shots, but here goes anyway.

I have an i9900 that will not execute the alignment tools properly.

When I do alignment -> check setting I see all samples A through K.

When I try to do alignment maintenance to obtain the manual adjustment numbers, C, F, H, I, and K are missing. and I don't mean just no color, the column headings also are missing.

The dialog that allows entry of the adjustment numbers also has these same choices missing.

When I send the adjustments anyway, I get an error after some processing.

It is as if these items don't exist as far as the tool is concerned.

I get the same results with both XP and Win 7.

Printed photos seem OK.

What is happening here?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I thought Sherlocc Holmes could solve any riddle. (just kidding!)

You will be able to post your image after 24 hours I believe. If you can, post the exact error message. Hang in there. Odds are someone will know about your issue. If not then the error message and your image should be helpful. For now, maybe you should not print anything further until the issue is better understood.

sherlocc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

Sherlock - yes, Sherlocc - not so good. I have over 50 years of computer system development and support. And I am a good diagnostician in general. But printer design is not one of my areas of expertese.

Exactly why "alignment->check setting" option shows all 11 samples (A thru K) and the alignment option itself doesn't recognize the existence of 5 of them is a "puzzlement". I thought maybe there was a software problem with Win7, so I tried WinXP with the same result.

Why recognize all 11 in one part of the tool, and only 6 in another part of the same tool? Is there some feedback from Canon printers that alerts a "common" maintenance software tool as to the specific carts available on the printer? This would allow for development of a common tool able to adapt to multiple printer products.

Does Canon do this? If so, then maybe I have an electrical problem with such a set of sensors?

By the way, nozzle check is fine except that 6C shows upper half fine, lower half exists but washed out.

sherlocc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
By the way, you can find my images at:

9116_i9900_problem-1.jpg

9116_i9900_problem-2.jpg

sherlocc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Great, now you have these screen shots. I was just trying to send you their URLs, and your forum decided to let them display. Great.

sherlocc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This does not scan well. The first is a virgin scan. The second is with Photoshop brightness/contrast turned way down. And note that in actuality the 6PM cart is there. I have read in my research of the nozzle check that this washed out result is normal?

9116_i9900_problem-4.jpg

9116_i9900_problem-3.jpg

Does this help explain why the following 2 images are so different in terms of which of A thru K that appear?

9116_i9900_problem-1.jpg

9116_i9900_problem-2.jpg

The images are at:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9116_i9900_problem-1.jpg
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9116_i9900_problem-2.jpg
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9116_i9900_problem-3.jpg
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/9116_i9900_problem-4.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
sherlocc
Just looking at nozzle your check the results dont look good at all.
Youre going to have to get yourself a new print head to fix the problem I reckon.

However you could spend some more time trying to fix it but in the end
youll still be looking at a replacement print head it's just fixable sorry.. :(