best photo printer

popsy

Printer Guru
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
Points
131
What is the best Canon photo printer? I have the Pixma mg5420 and have never been satisfied with it. I did try a search for this information but didn't see anything that applied. I don't want a pro type printer, just one that will give me as good prints that I used to get with my old i860.
 
Why you are not satisfied with the MG5420 ?
It has 5 colors as your old one.

In the same (non-pro) range Canon has printers with 6 colors. The additional grey allows better toning and B/W prints without color cast.
Using the same cartridges look at the 6300, 7100 and 8700 series.
 
I can't get it to print sharply and clearly. I use Canon papers, Canon ink, and have tried various settings but they still lack the clarity I expect. I have seen results from other similar models and their results are quite acceptable. Could their just be something awry with mine? I recently downloaded drivers from Canon.
 
Do you mean the same printout on the new printer is less sharp and clear than on the old ?
How do you process and print your photos ?
 
Yes, I formerly had an i860 that printed high quality. As good as could be expected from whatever quality the original picture had. The current printer mg5420 prints a lower quality picture. Oops, you just reminded me of something (as was probably your intent) that I'm not printing with Canon application. I'm using Picture Window. I now recall that I got better prints with Canon software. I'll keep that in mind as I print more. Can't do anything right now as I'm low on Y and don't have another cart. :-( I will continue this once I get ink. I'll update my bitching. ;-)
 
You should try Qimage. You can download trial version for 30days. I had same problem with mine i9950. I use Canon application only for pictures from smartphone, and pictures that are not sharp well. I think that program use some interpolation to do picture brighter and that they are look more similar like conventional pictures. But then sharpen suffer.
 
If you want to print your own photos the best way is to (let) profile your printer/paper/ink combination, set color management in the printer driver to "None" and use a processing/printing application to manage the printer by indicating the right profile.
I am using Lightroom, but you can do this also with other applications as the free (and not so bad) Canon Digital Photo Professional.
 
Back
Top