armor starter pack- canon MP500

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
It works, great. Seadly you have to stick for Canon OR for the Armor/GEHA tuning kit chipped cartridges for a working ink level status (about 60-70 % of the price of original Canon carts). Cheaper, but the savings are not that great.

Be aware that the tuning kit does NOT work with the newer Canon IP4500, due to a firmware upgrade for Canon, especially to counter this product, Be WARNED !!! It's like Epson changing their firmware after april this year making it almost impossible for aftermarket carts to work (accept for Jettec carts, for so far I know) on their latest chipped printers.

Does someone tried the G&G resetted carts to work on the Canon IP4500 or the latest models of Canon printers (firmware !!!) ? If not, then probably Canon has upgraded the firmware to disable the resetted carts.

MOMO

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback.

you note that the savings are not that great; i understand that the armor system is supposed to have fully indpendent cartridges, hence i assume that you would not need to spend money on ink not used?

one of the annoying things about the canon cartridges is that the ink you don't use seems to run out! (i mainly use b/w printing)

so i am assuming that savings would be greater with armor?

also could you confirm that the mp500 will work? i bought the model nov 2006.

thanks a lot!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
MOmo - All inkjet printers run periodic automatic cleaning cycles to prevent the printhead nozzles from drying out and clogging. Each time a cleaning cycle runs, the printer uses ink from all the cartridges. That is why you have color ink carts using ink even when you print b/w only. In addition, with certain settings you will use colored inks to create black printing. The absolute cheapest approach is to refill with bulk inks. At about $1 per cart refill you couldn't care less how much ink the cleaning cycles use!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Today I saw on druckerchannel.de that Artech (Armor/GEHA tuning kit) released a modified version of it's tuning kit to counter Canon's latest attempt to re-encrypt their printers. This special adapter works on the latest models like the IP4500 too ! Another battle has been won. Be sure when buying the correct tuning kit to fit on your printer. And for MOMO: the MP500 is no problem for the GEHA tuning kit: both the older and the latest version should work.

MOMO

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi again thanks for the info

what does this mean:

pharmacist said:
Seadly you have to stick for Canon OR for the Armor/GEHA tuning kit chipped cartridges for a working ink level status (about 60-70 % of the price of original Canon carts).
that if you change btw them it will damage the printer?

also does anyone know if the armor cartridges are refillable? i know you can refill the canon cartridges but you also have to have a chip on it; the armor system with its caddy means you would just need to be worried about refilling and not the chip as well?

thanks

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I believe that you have the same chip problem when you buy the Armor approach. They have their own chips on their own cartridges and you have to buy new cartridges from them if you want to have a working ink level monitor. Pharmacist indicated that you do save some by paying less for Armor than for Canon.

IMHO, the best choice for good printing with economy is to stay with Canon OEM carts, refill them yourself with known good ink, forget the ink level monitor.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MOMO said:
hi again thanks for the info

what does this mean:

pharmacist said:
Seadly you have to stick for Canon OR for the Armor/GEHA tuning kit chipped cartridges for a working ink level status (about 60-70 % of the price of original Canon carts).
that if you change btw them it will damage the printer?

also does anyone know if the armor cartridges are refillable? i know you can refill the canon cartridges but you also have to have a chip on it; the armor system with its caddy means you would just need to be worried about refilling and not the chip as well?

thanks
You can NOT refill the armor cartridges, because you're stuck to the ARMOR chips. The choice is between your hand or your leg been chopped off........ Deactivating the ARMOR chip is possible (5 second trick) and you can refill them, but why paying 50 bucks for the ARMOR kit if you can stick to the original Canon carts and refilling them and use the 5 second trick as well ?

And it won't damage the printer: the special adapter is easily removed from the system when you wish to return to normal sized Canon cartridges.